Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

discrimination of old nails

kevinslack

i put in the nail discrimination and also blacked out the first three lines on top and i still get these old nails at 8+ inches. they come in on a high tone like coins. how would i pass these up.

i get a few of those to. most of the time the high coin tone will have thunk or thud sound on the end for me. those also dont pp rite for me.
i noise cancel on the nastiest spot i can find. then back my sense down by one or two. then i hunt. but once in a wile i get fooled by those.

i get them too but you have to dig em to get all the coins. no sense in passing it up. most of the time those nails only give a good signal in one direction. if you turn 90 deg. and recheck the signal will be gone or broken. also they almost allways pinpoint in the lower right corner. i run a slightly modified version of the stock coin pattern for disc. so on an open screen, you might get different results.
(i dont know that for sure) hope this helps. -mike-

yes i have dug about 5 or 6 of them over 8+ inches in two days. they come in at fe-1 co 44-48 i always think this could been the big silver coin. i was digging a deep one yesterday and seen out of the corner of my eye there was a pair of shoe's i looked up to see a policeman looking down at me. he said people has been calling because im digging in the park. i told him i called the police station and asked about metal detecting in the park. i was told i could if i didnt leave holes in the park. so i covered my hole like i always do and showed him the way i leave it. he said ok and left. but if people kept calling in i know my days metal detecting in the parks are going to be over. i really dont know where else to hunt.

thoes are the same people that throw pulltabs out the window and chop up beer cans with there lawn mowers cause there to damn lazy to get off and pick em up. i hate that. or its some old bitty that has nothin better to do than look for ways to screw up someone elses fun-time! probably the same old bitty that was in front of you at the minimart, diggin in her change purse for 10 minutes lookin for 3 pennies so she can get a nickle back! why cant people leave well enough alone! ok i feel better.......

I have picked up those nails on occasions because of the high pitched signal. But seems like when I change directions like rbholt stated, I get a thump sound at the end of the signal. I just hate to not dig it just in case there was something good with some junk. It's sort of like not digging pull tabs because you know what it is, but then you dig one and its a ring. I don't know how to avoid them unless you notice a consistent repeated tone that you recognize to not dig.

Just as the others stated, there are some tell tale signs that it may be a deep nail. But, like others, I still have to be sure since there are many old deep coins still hiding within the iron. It's like the big lunker bass that stays in deep cover.

But I believe you just have to dig the good with the bad. too much discrimination= too much left behind.

For instance, look at Ray-mo. He is consistently making great finds but look at what he digs to get those

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1133965

The ones that get me the worst are the ones bent in a j shape and the ultra rusty fence staples.Most of the time when I dig a crusty nail I have serious doubts that it is a coin but almost never dig a silver coin thinking it might be a nail.Like others have stated a nail almost always is a one way signal and will pinpoint several inches from where it hits in regular mode.The problem is that a nail near iron can act similar but the wiggle will usually isolate it.
I dig the most nails at the sights that are almost without good targets as after a while I get bored or desperate and start digging the very marginal signals.Once in a while it will pay off with a very iffy signal being a desirable target.Also the more moist the soil the better iron will sound but the better the deep coins will sound.On the other hand the dryer it gets the better I am able to separate the goodies from the near by iron.

You show me a person who never digs any iron at older sites and I will show you a person that is missing quite a few nice coins if they are hunting in any kind of trash at all,Ray.

yes the places i hunt are full of trash, i dont think i would know how to act going to a place with out trash. but running these parks will make me better on the sounds. i cant wait intil i go back to ohio on my wifes moms farm. her mom picks up old coins after they plow there garden. old silver dollars and pennys in the early 1800,s i know with my E-TRAC i will get some of those coins.

It sounds like you have the right attitude and all you need to do is swing your coil over a few of those old coins and you will be set,Ray.

Ummmm, jeez... everybody all ready said it! :surrender: I guess the only thing I might add is practice makes perfe... better. Still digging those "iffys" myself! :rage:

Looks similar to the one I dug at GGP park yesterday. I'm sure I passed up a number of nails yesterday, so just pleased only one punked me. Nobody mentioned using quick mask fully open to check your signal. That's another trick I use beside the 90-degree turn test. Good luck!

-Alex

Kevin,

I would encourage you to keep hunting that/those parks, regardless of people calling in and complaining. You have just as much of a right to be there as they do calling in to complain. You've already told the police you've gotten the go ahead, and they will probably echo that back if any more complaints come in.

Stay encouraged,

NebTrac