Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Discriminating against NAILS?:look:

lainylainy

This forum is the BEST!

I am planning to go out to my parent's house in the next few days to practice my skillz on my 1350. Their house was built in 1970 but stands on the site of an early 1900th century farmhouse. I have found a necklace, horse teeth, barbed wire, bones and stuff just with my regular digging around as a child.

When I first started MD'ing I tried over there but there are TONS of nails from when my parent's house was built. Can I have some advice about not digging for nails all day? Will I miss a lot of good stuff if I don't dig them? Of may I not even be able to tell?

Thanks!

:spin:

I would make it easy on yourself and start hunting with Iron discriminated out so it doesn't drive you crazy. Find the coins and maybe jewelry first. After you work the area good, then go with all metal to look for relics. Seeing that you can go there whenever you want you have the luxury of taking your time.

[quote awhitster]I would make it easy on yourself and start hunting with Iron discriminated out so it doesn't drive you crazy. Find the coins and maybe jewelry first. After you work the area good, then go with all metal to look for relics. Seeing that you can go there whenever you want you have the luxury of taking your time.[/quote]

Sounds like a solid plan to me.

It is a solid plan. It is referred to as "cherry picking." But there is problem.
High concentrations of iron targets, like nails, will mask good targets or at the least change their apparanet conductivity to the detector. Cherry picking is a good plan but once that peters out, plan to dig most all signals. This includes going back over areas that you have removed the nails from, at least test them again.

Becuase you have time, as awhitster says, you should grid in ten foot squares to be thourough and to keep on track.

Its a lot of work, but in the end you may be surprised at what was hidden behind that iron clutter.

Myself i pass the object back under the coil, and when it get to the strongest hit, i hit the reject button so i will not pick this up again
I run in the relic mode, with the background turn down as low as possible and play with the sensitivity, this seen to work pretty good for me

Happy Hunting

Find where the other house was unless you know it was on the exact location as your parents current house. A house that old would have had an outhouse which would have been down wind from the house. Underneath the clothes line would be a good place to look. Under trees. Around dug wells. Fence post holes. Chicken coops, they have never made a better burglar alarm than a chicken.

Yes you can try to blank out certain signals. With the ground being moist in the spring you should reduce your sensitivity also. Start away from the house at the edges of the property then eventually work back towards the house. It will be time consuming but it should keep you away from the nails.
Welcome to the little lady to our forum. Ladies tend to post one time and don't come back. Probably too many guys. There are two ladies active on the Christian forum.
HH

Ew gross - what would I be looking for? Petrified poo? Or are you serious and there is good stuff there?

Thanks for the welcome. Thanks for calling me a lady, hehehehe. I definitely try to look like one, anyway. You should see me MD'ing in my sundresses and sandals.

I will be here for quite some time - you guys don't scare me! :bouncy:

The human waste in a septic pit turns to harmless organic matter quickly. What we call "gross," soon becomes dirt. Dont worry all youre liable to find are:
valuable bottles, chinaware, crockery, coins, etc.

Quote. You should see me MD'ing in my sundresses and sandals.

Well I guess you'll just have to post a picture! ? :poke:

I haven't dug "Poo pit" as you call it either. I'm so deep in the woods that all my neighbors still use their out houses! :rofl: