Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Disappointing hunt in a 1940 yard

jeffatnip

After getting permission yesterday, I did a 4 hour hunt in the front, back and side yards of a large stately looking old house built in 1940. I found 2 quarters, 6 dimes and maybe 25 pennies. The oldest coin I found was a 1965 dime. There were not even any wheat pennies. This house had (supposedly) never been hunted before.

I was using an Ace 250 and had it set on Jewelry mode. I kept switching the sensitivity depending on the amount of junk I encountered, but at times I had it up to 5 or 6 notches. Nothing I found was over 2 inches deep.

Why no silver or wheats? Any suggestions?

When coin hunting I most always run in "COIN" mode & set Sensitivity at 4. I recently found an 1884 Cent & a 1872 Nickle both about 6".

Don't give up on the 250, swing the yella fella slowly & go back & hit it again!

Not all old houses will be loaded with coins.
Depends on the habits of who lived there.
IE: a house with a large family that flits
about the yard a lot will have many more coins
than say an old house with a couple of older
people that never go outside, except to pick
up the newspaper..
MK

Don't let it get you down,
There's always another day, it happens to us all from time to time.
I had a day last week like that but celebrated with a bottle of peach champagne and "hey presto" everything looked better.

About 15 years ago I spotted an old house in the country. It was built around 1885. 2.5 story Victorian farm house. There it was all alone on one of the highest points in my area. I had dreamed of detecting it for years as it was abandoned. Then one day a new house was being built on the property. So I took the chance and went to the door. Out pops one of my friends from high school. After some small talk I got permission to hunt the old house that sat maybe 500 feet from the new house. He said he was tearing it down to build a barn. I was there the next day! I started about 10 in the morning and hunted until about 4 pm. There were giant trees, cellar, outhouse and slaves quarters. I couldn't keep the drool from my chin! I first detected the front and back of the house next to the walk ways. Then I detected the path to the outhouse and slaves quarters. I then detected under the huge trees that looked like they were 200 years old. I dug every beep above a small nail. My take for the day has a ton of large rusty square nails, hinges,broken iron pieces but NOT ONE COIN!!!! I could not believe I could be skunked!!!
I was like a whipped Puppy dragging my butt home. I don't know what happened? All I can think of is that like mosr people in that era - they didn't have any money. Kids were not allowed to have any for sure. In all my detecting I can't think of a more depressing hunt. So you just never know........................I did enjoy the thrill of the hunt until I started hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got my Ace and got to hunt my first old house, I thought I was going to strike it rich in silver. NOT. I haven't cleaned up at any old houses I have done. Small change back then could buy a lot. People just didn't lose change like thay do now.

The best I have done at an old house was : 1 ih, over 20 wheat's, 2 war nickels, 2 silver dimes.
I went to a 1907 house and got 6 clad cents and one wheat. You never know.

You indeed never know. Old houses dont mean instant silver as many here have mentioned. Something you might not realize is that poele dressed more formally in years past and pockets have changed. They used to be deep and double reinforce stitched, made of canvas duck, as a rule. Next time youre at a thrift store or somewhere where you can examine some genuine vintage clothing, do so and youll see what I mean.

Too, people held on tight to money, back in the day. They often used coin purses/holders and frankly, they didn't carry as much change as we do now.

Yep, it happens.. Many back in the old days
didn't have much cash at all. Most of their
living items were taken in trade so to speak..
IE: if you had a farm, you traded eggs, milk,
etc, for items from other "trades"..
Often cash was not even used much.
And if any money was lost in the yard, most
would actually get on their knees and look
for it.
25c was worth quite a bit in the late 1800's,
early 1900's...
But luckily for me, I like relics, so even if
I found no coins, I can hang with relics if they
are good.. Some relics I would prefer over coins..
MK

I have pulled 140 coins over a 6 month period out of our yard. House was built in 1926 or 27. I had bought 4 different detectors during that period and would try them out in the yard. Found plenty of clad but also 1833 half cent in ex fine condition, unusal for a copper coin so I think it was a later drop. Standing Lib 1919 was very wore,1920 merc in decent cond, a few silver rosie's and NO silver Washingtons thats the part I do not get. I believe there's coins yet to be found.

Goes to show there are no absolutes...

there a two story school i like to metal detect. i find out that someone wife grandmother what to that school in a horses drawing school bus. it been fix up for a house and for sale. didn't see any no trespassing sign. i hope soon i can get down there and hunt.

If there were not many children the silver finds are less like to occur. I have an ace 250 and have found pennies at 5" in dry soil. I would suggest looking around any old trees or places that looks like there might have been a tree in the past. Look anywhere that appears to be out of site to any adults that might have been living in the house. That's where I usually find the old coins. Children tend to play where adults can't see them. Next, slow down your sweep and go in a different direction than you did before.