Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dirty Coil Covers!!

luv2detect

Read that about the dirty coil covers, That is true about keeping them clean & only takes a few seconds-I had somehow got a very small piece of iron caught under my cover, I would get a very good deep signal and when I tried to pinpoint it I would end up like 3 ft. away from where the signal started. Took me 2 days of this before I cleaned my dirty cover and found the little piece of iron, Never even thought of trying that. Now I clean it every time I use it. Even went back & found a few of those deep signals-One was a barber dime.

I have seen several come into the shop and complain the detector is not stable and a lot of false signals, the first thing I do is pull the coil cover off and clean it and 90% of the time they work great after that.

I see you screen name is the same as I use on E Bay almost as mine is Ilv2detect as I added the i to mine when I set it up about 10 years ago.

Rick

I clean out my cover constantly. There's more often than not sand, soil, dust and even moisture that gets trapped. Erratic signals can mean a few different things: high mineralization, sensitivity is too high, hot rocks and most certainly, crud between the cover and the coil. If the grass is wet, I take my coil cover off. Some people like to apply a silicone bead around the perimeter to seal it, but I haven't done that yet myself.

Crispytoo

Awhile back when I had bought a detector from a shop the owner said to use a sealant to seal the seam between the coil cover and coil. I can't remember the type it was but it worked great to keep the moisture from grass from getting into the coil and kept the dirt out as well. The sealant was waterproof so thinking it was similar to or the same as that used on bath tubs to seal between the tub and the shower walls. Makes it nice too in that it comes off without too much difficulty in case a new coil cover has to be installed or for other reasons you would take the cover off.

I had forgotten about that for some time now. Will have to check into it and then put some on the coils/covers of all my coils.

If you use a sealant check the ingredients to rules out anything with a mettalic base that might alter the coils performance..