Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dipping the Toes in the Deep End

This weekend I had some spare time, and made my first attempt at moving away from the preset programs, and over to the Dark Side, or all metal. While attempting to input all the options into a saved program (with the standard coil on the ground, the SE leaning against me), the unit beeped continuously and erratically while I scrolled through the programs, yet my detector coil was not moving an inch. My question is, was this racket caused by too high of a sensitivity adjustment (set at 26 at the time, I think), and therefore the alternating of the 26 frequencies picked up mineralization as the frequencies changed over time? If not, how can the unit detect different mineralization without the coil moving? If I had reduced the sensitivity to 24, 22, 20, etc., would the unit have become stable, and the R2D2 impression cease? Any guidance would be appreciated. My inputs were taken directly from Mike Moutray and CharlesNY's websites, so all I can figure is the sensitivity setting of 26 was too hot for my dad's front yard. I did find a mercury dime (1945) and some clad with the preset program, but am anxious to experiment some. Thanks a bunch. And thanks for sharing your hunting exploits and photos - I am enjoying everyone's Father's Day finds.

If you are going to run all metal you will definately need to back the sensitivity down. I usually run around 21 but some spots wont allow that much. Make sure you noise cancel after you get everything set up. If you are in an area that has lots of iron it may still sound like R2D2. I personally run at IM-10 and prefer that to wide open. It is much more stable in my area and for a beginner it will allow you to get the feel of minimal disc without going nuts.

had it about a week. I had a Quattro so I was used to Minelabs. I read the manual, then opened the screen wide open all metal in Ferrous and never looked back. I always have a coin garden in my back yard and I will change a setting, run across the old silver and see what happens. If it does not sound the way I like, I change the setting back. One thing I do, when you dig the hole for a coin garden put the coin in the bottom, then put in 1 inch of dirt at a time in and compress it, then the next inch of dirt and so forth. Do not fill up the hole and put your foot on it, it has to be compressed very well to emulate a long buried coin. I even water it. I have learned more from one single buried silver dime and an old wheat penny. I have the coins buried at various depths.Some say to wait on making changes as it can be confusing but I make 1 change at a time, no problems if you get confused just change it back, heck thats half the fun. I have been fooling with audio and running it over an 8 inch buried silver dime. My next project is to put a silver dime a flat 10 inches straight down and see if I can goose the explorer to respond to it. I have 2 goals.........to find them deep, and to be able to recognize a coin when I cross over it. Have a good day...........

Thanks for the input, eduey and bigears. I had tried the Noise Cancel feature, but it did not solve the problem. So the R2D2 chatter is normal for a non-moving coil if the unit is not set up in a stable program for the soil encountered? Backing off the sensitivity and/or closing up IM a bit can take care of the chatter? Good ideas bigears on the construction of your test plot. I made mine in the backyard, but did not think of compacting the soil as I filled in the holes. It should be fairly easy to open up the holes again, and refill in the manner you recommend. Again, I appreciate you two helping me out. Take care. Johnny

... my SE will do the same thing IF the sensitivity is set too high. Of course, "too high" is relative - here in our goofy Oregon soil, too high for me is anything over 26.

Manual sensitivity set at 24 is about as high as I can go in these parts. If I bump it up to say 28, the cursor goes bouncing all over the screen, and for every bounce, there is an associated tone. Sounds like a drunken Drum-and-Fife Corp!! It'll settle down about 24 - usually hunt between 20-24.

Never been able to run max (32) sensitivity (manual) 'round here - closest was 28 a couple weeks ago, a bit farther south of here (Portland). Of course, it was different soil...

I generally start at manual 20, then bump it up until it becomes unstable, then back down a couple (... search this site, many users do and suggest the procedure). Every area is different though - you may only be able to get 20 in your area. Others areas may give you 32... or 18. Just depends.

SCM

Hi Johnny, did you scan over the ground where you sat the coil ?
Maybe with a blank screen, ( all metal ) looking for any iron before doing your setting up ?
If there is any rusted iron or any target under the coil it would certainly cause noise !

Another thing you might try is keeping the coil up, away from the ground while changing your settings.

Doing a noise cancel every time you change your settings is a good thing...

Steve mentioned sensitivity,
here's something I do sometimes, if I think of it... ( I'm usually like a bull at a gate!)

Firstly find a target free patch of ground.
Then establish a low steady threshold with your coil in the air,
next ~ lower your coil to the ground and start swinging your coil within your target free patch of ground.
While moving the coil over the ground ~ raise and lower your sensitivity; until you get a steady threshold...

Too high a setting will result in an unsteady threshold, ( back off your sensitivity until a steady threshold is happening.)
You will then have the perfect sensitivity for that zone...

Some operators like to run on the "hotter" side of things ~ and crank up the sensitivity until the threshold just starts to get wobbly...

:detecting: