Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging into my archives. Diving the Templet

Royal

As most of you, I am very busy at this time of year, especially with all the painting and getting ready to list the house so I am digging out an old diving story. I can not rememeber if I posted this lately or not but I don't think so.

This was from the same trip that I made where I dove the Empire Mica off Panama City Florida.

We had driven down non-stop from Michigan, backed the boat in the water and headed out. We made the dive where we almost lost the dang boat and then this is when we came in after that adventure. I was one pooped feller. I hope those of you that have not read it enjoy it! I sure did :D----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diving The Templete, Panama City Florida

I am not sure what time we arrived back at the launch but it was near dark. Now you gotta believe that this old Michigan boy was tired. We had driven, almost non-stop from Michigan, stopped to dump our gear at the double wide, went to the launch and went diving. We made the dive I just described and arrived at the dock around dark. We were all spent. We had not even eaten since breakfast!

We loaded the boat on the trailer and headed for what was going to be home for a couple days. We first had to stop at the dive shop to fill our tanks for the coming days diving. I sure the heck had nothing on my mind but food and rest but we had to get this done.

As we were waiting for the tanks to fill I noticed Arnie looking over the spear-guns. There are pretty expensive and I knew the kid had barely enough money for food. His mother had given him enough money for food, I guess but nothing extra.

Right next to the spear-guns were a selection of bang-sticks. These are used for serious fish getting. They are a pole with a rubber sling on the hand end. It is like a Hawaiian sling. Then other end is fitted with a head that takes a pistol shell or even a shotgun shell. This is set off when the end of the stick is rammed against the fish. It then sets off the shell and blows a hole in said fish. They are pretty darned effective too, as we were to see the next day. I think the thing was 120 bucks or so.

Arnie decided he just had to have one. He selected one that used a .45 cal shell. I am pretty sure that is what it was as it was quite a while ago. It was a big one anyway. We all told him he was nuts to be blowing his food money on a dang bang-stick that he could not even use in Michigan! He was not hearing any of that though. He just had to have the biggest and badest, it seemed. I preferred eating myself. Well he would not listen and bought it, with some help from Dave, I think.

Dave

Just like that fish that the boy killed with the bang stick? You are mentioning some big fish in this story which makes me wonder why they did not try to do bodily harm to you folks. I have never done anything like this, but I do find it interesting to read about.

Driving that great distance, then diving without rest...we could do things like that when we were younger, but not now. I remember the days that you could party all weekend, get very little sleep, and report to work on Monday morning at 6:00 AM. and be just fine.

I enjoyed this story when you first posted it, and enjoyed it just as much now that I have read it again. Thanks for posting it again, good reading. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

baracuda there and I did see one shark. The visibility was great though and it eases your fears.

This was the day before that dive on the Empire Mica that I posted a story about earlier.

It was a hell of a thrilling trip!!

With the 'cudas, I do know that you have to be careful to not wear anything shiny, since they will attack it. I remember those bang sticks too. They even had them for sale in Victoria [this was shortly after Jaws came out :) }but as I remember, not many were sold.

Good story Royal. I remember it the first time around and it is equally good now.

All the best

M

you sorta forget about the adventures but it is good to reawaken them

shallow that far out at sea,105 feet.i guess i don't think of the ocean floor being like the rest of the earth.i believe i would of had a couple of those bang sticks myself if i had been there.

although i would have preferred a underwater machine gun.:D.everytime i would walk through a pasture with a bad bull in it i would always have already eyeballed a way of escape in case he decided he didn't want company.

can't remember the details but i remember something about a person getting a chunk taken out of them by a cuda when we lived in peurto rico.

i use to open my eyes underwater when we would go to a swimming beach not far from base.talked my mom into buying me a cheapo mask.the water was pretty clear around there,but i didn't get out to far since i was a kid.somebody would get jellyfished once in awhile.

all that eating,anybody ever get the bends out there?

conclusion that I no longer want to see what's under the water. As I have stated before, when diving, I was a bit claustophobic! Even though I knew I had tanks of air on my back, I would suddenly swim to the top, rip off my mask, and gulp air. My husband got really p.o.'d at me. Said it was probably because I couldn't talk! Imagine that! :lol

How is the house going, by the way???

don't know if it resulted from me having a bigger kid shove my head under water and holding me down when i wasn't expecting it and almost drowning me.it was the first time i can remember wanting to murder someone.:D

designed by the navy that we go by. If a person gets bent it is usually because they are idiots. Now days there are dive computers that you take down with you on your wrist or on the consel and they will keep you out of trouble. Bends is just a factor of staying down too long at a given depth.

I always figured an embolism is a greater danger for a new diver and that is caused by not breathing out on an assent and a scared diver is in danger of that/

it's still really scarey. Especially the little ones around the pool. That's why we teach them to swim as young as possible. They have no fear!

n/t