Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging Holes

englishprof

How do you really dig holes? If you do the flap method, do you cut a semi-circle in the ground as deep as the hit, then clip the grass roots a few inches below the surface, fold the grass flap back, then scoop the dirt into something so you can fill in the hole afterward? I've also seen the method where you just cut a slit in the ground and get stuff out with knitting needles or a screwdriver. That seems less intrusive but somewhat tricky. Almost all of my recoveries have been scuba diving deep water and I have very limited ground experience. I don't want to give metal detecting a bad name.

In a nice manicured lawn, the flap method is good. I usually make a plug, but you gotta have the right kinda digger for that. I have one, but for the life of me, I can't remeber what it's called of who made it. Most of the places I hunt lend themselves to using a probe as most of the goodies are within 1-3" deep. Poke around till you hit the target, slide off to the side and get under it, then pop it up thru the grass and soil, then a stomp of the foot over the affected area and you never know I was there.

I use the "probe and pop" method whenever possible, and with most coins being 1-3" deep it works well.

BigCatDaddy explained it well in his post. Takes a little practice, but it saves the grass and cuts down on retrieval time.