Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging DEEP coins!…..

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
Several years ago when we had a CMD forum hunt up here, I took several of the members here to an old park the day before for a pre hunt. I know Henry (Pennies) dug a merc with his new Explorer and was very happy. If memory serves me right Steve dug a couple Buffalo nickels. I got some wheats and I believe a merc there too. Can't remember what the others all found that day. I have been back to the same spot now and then over the years and have found more wheats and a couple silvers. I went back there a week ago and worked the very same spot with my Etrac. I got a deep hit and it was 2 wheats in one hole. I slowed down and kept digging deep wheats and did get a merc too. Ended that 30 minute hunt with 9 wheats and the merc. Every coin was 7" - 9" deep. My friend John was with me and watched me dig a few of them. I decided to go back today and work the same area and take a ruler this time. It didn't take long and I heard that first deep wheat.
Ended the hunt with 10 more wheats, a 1945 D silver war nickel, and a 1942 S merc. None were less than 7" and some were at 9" deep. If you look at the ruler you can see the merc was right at 9". I also got a neat old dog whistle. I think the soil and moisture conditions were just right, and that Etrac has the ability to sniff out deep coins. Each coin I measured was actually still in the spot it was dropped many years before. None were in the loose soil. I wanted an accurate depth so I worked slowly with digger and pin pointer till I seen an edge of a coin. Also got 20 trash items, and 8 clad coins.
[attachment 330668 IMG_2101.JPG] [attachment 330669 IMG_2105.JPG]
[attachment 330670 IMG_2110.JPG] [attachment 330671 IMG_2111.JPG]
[attachment 330672 IMG_2112.JPG]

nice finds ! the etrac was on the money with those.

Nice digs Mike. There have been times I've dug 8"-10" on larger coins. Actually, of all the detectors I've owned, none have given me greater depth than the Minelab's.

there must be a lot of oldies yet. My Fisher gives a whisper kind of sound when I'm over a deep one.

I never have measured coins but did measure Civil War relics one time. At an old rifle range we were measuring fired shells at 11 inches. Thanks for all the pics, Steve in so la

Congrats Mike on having a detector that sniffs out the deeper oldies.....detectors sure have improved since I bought my last one in 1994! Really liked my Whites Spectrum XLT even though it might have not detected the deep, deep coins, I did find a lot of coins with it and being older with illnesses anyway, I wasn't up to digging real deep, as I tired out right away even digging lots of shallower coins and etc. Getting rid of the trash does help in finding the deeper ones, so cleaning that stuff out first by others and ourselves helps a lot for hearing the low tones (whispers) of the deeper hidden treasures! The Spectrum did good in sniffing out the silver and coins out of the real trashy places! I know that I had lots of fun :detecting: and finding lots of coins and relics from 1981 to 2006, the year my brother was with me, but wasn't able to hunt any more after he passed away in 2009....he was very ill with PAH......Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension...and was taking expensive meds that he nor I could afford, so we appreciated being able to get the meds through the doctor and medical system, for God is good to His own and we both knew and loved our own personal Savior, Jesus, Whom I still do and serve gladly, whenever I am able to do so with His joyous strength! Amen!

I also know that detecting experience and using one's own brand and using it mostly, does make a difference in the coins and good items found, so all of you keep at it and improve your success more and more for practice and persistence makes perfect in anything we want to be really good at and have fun doing! God Bless and may His love and provision supply each one's every need! Amen! :angel: Ma

The XLT was top of the line in the 90's. Still is a good machine. :thumbup:

and as far as I know, It is still usable and good to find treasures, but haven't used it since moving and won't sell it as yet, as my sister and I may go detecting (me watching) if and when she ever gets her place sold and moves closer to me! Right now we are about 40 miles apart and, health wise and lack of finances, keeps me from going to her place often and she is busy trying to sell her place, going to church and keeping her animals fed and taken care of, as they depend on her feeding them morning and night! Spoiled outdoor cats and a dog that wants her near him all the time! Left him for two nights in a kennel and now he won't let her out of his sight! LOL! Keep detecting with friends and finding those longtime lost coins and etc.! God Bless! :angel: Ma

That is a deep one for sure. Congratulations. Keep it up.