Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Different take on "Gain" settings....

A

Anonymous

I've been reading the posts regarding gain settings and thought I'd throw in my own 2 zincs. Try this, with the smaller coils especially, (5" and 8" Sunray coils): Run in deep mode only, sens as high as you can get it, ferrous mode, audio one, iron mask -16 and here's the kicker: gain at 3 or 4. This setting is excellent for really distinguishing the deep ones over the shallow junk and since you don't discriminate, you don't have to worry about target masking. You also get the added benefit of target ID being more accurate with just "deep" on and "audio one" actually helps you with that as well since it gives better audio resolution than "normal" will on the target. I don't necessarily agree that turning your gain on 10 is the best way to dig the deep ones. It can drive you crazy and you have to depend too much on the meter in order to tell if it is, in fact, deep. I like going by the sound much better and as long as you set your threshold's volume at it's lowest setting and target volume at it's max setting, you will be just fine assuming your using quality headphones (such as Timberwolfs or Grey Ghosts.) JMHO but give it a try and see what you think. I have found my target depths are just as impressive and it seems much more user friendly. HH George

THANKS George, works GREAT, I'M finding coins in old worked out,trashy places with these settings. It makes you slow down. Thanks again,Ken

most informative.I printed a copy for my Explorer manual reference file.I use Timberwolf headphones,
too.I hope I'll have a chance to try your settings soon before the weather gets too cold and I have to hang up the detector for the season. 73 from Carolyn.