Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Differences between EXPll, e-trac and SE

Buddysox

I have been hunting with an EXP_ll for about two years now and thinking about "upgrading"to an SE or E-track. I do love my EXPll and have no complaints. I rarely use any kind of program when I'm hunting and prefer to just listen to it all and have become very comfortable that way. From what I can see all the Minelab machines are basically the same and differ mostly in what bells and whistles they have. I guess that's my question, do the newer units have anything better than my EXPll ? Is a newer unit faster or deeper or better in some way? I have not had the opportunity to try out either of these two machines, wish I could. As I said, I usually don't use the bells and whistles stuff, beyond that, are the newer minelabs better ? I would appreciate any comments from anyone, especially those that have used the newer minelabs. Thanks in advance.

The only reason I have an Explorer SE rather than my old Explorer 2 is because I got it in trade for another brand of detector .The SE seems to recover a tad faster and the pinpointing is a little better but I get fooled a bit more by deep rusty unwanted items . So I would say I would rate the two about even . Although I have friends ( one bought my Explorer 2 from me ) who find the Explorer 2 a much stabler machine than the SE. These guys have also been detecting long before I even thought of detecting .
I have never owned an E-Trac but some of my other friends who have bought them prefer them to the Explorer series .
You are certainly not "undergunned" with an Explorer 2 .I like my SE just as much as I liked my Explorer 2 and do not plan to upgrade unless a detector is made which has all the power and capabilities of this detector in a much lighter package .

H H ,
George

Hi John,

I have both units and am gradually starting to prefer the ET over the EX-2 due to certain functions such as the better pinpointing and dual display.
Depth is a wash between the two, but the E-Trac is better at picking keepers out of trash in my experience, and my finds have been better and more frequent since using the ET, your results may vary.As I have said before, I am not getting rid of either unit as I like them both and they share coils, X-1 probe ETC.
I know some disagree with me but I believe that Minelab will be putting out an Explorer 3 in response to the Whites Spectra V3 soon.
A new Explorer platform is overdue by the 3 year development cycle, and some think that the E-Trac marks the end of the Explorer series, but given their world wide success and the fact that users did not abandon the Explorer in droves for the E-Trac I doubt that ML will drop the EX series anytime soon.
Look at the fact that the Sovereign is still offered and going strong despite the release of FBS units for a decade and I think you can see where I'm coming from.
I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Andy Sabish's Explorer and E-Trac Handbook, it is a valuable resourse and it points out in detail alot of the functional differences between the Ex series and the E-Trac.
Lot's of good tips and advice also.

Hope these ramblings are of use to you,

HH,

Drew.

do you just turn your explorer on and start hunting. i have an xs and thats the way i hunted at first but i didn't find anything old. i have found a few old coins since i started doing some programming but i still haven't found that deep silver everyone talks about.

I want to thank all who responded. Erik in NJ even invited me to try his SE and E track, if I could get from Arizona to New Jersey I would. I think it comes down to this: Is it a significant improvement over what I have and use? The two are certainly good units, it's just all gather basically the same information but present it differently,with user manipulation of that information to different degrees.I am sure that to many out there these two machines were the answer to their prayers. With the way I hunt It does seem that the EX2 has all I need and nothing that I don't need. Druid has a good point, perhaps Minelab has one just around the corner that will knock my socks off!
In answer to Chuck in KY yes, I did start in the basic program and progressed to a bit more sensitivity as conditions warrant and gain probably higher than most. For me, the best advice I got was to DIG! Not all people or places will be the same. And I will give anybody the same advice DIG!. Early on, I asked a lot of questions here about what sounds to dig. Wanna know what is down there and why it sounds and reads like it does, DIG! The more you dig now the less you dig later. I know that nobody wants to come home with a pouch full of junk but look at it as learning material. Anyone that says they never dig any junk is either lying or not really detecting.
Again, thanks to all.

Hi John--- AZ Huh---thats where I'm at Scottsdale to be exact---anyway I've used all 4---explorer---ex2---se---and the etrac- I would have to say out of the 4-- my favorite was the ex2--I made better finds with it-- I traded my etrac for a Vision and I'm still getting use to that--- really neat beeper with endless possibilities-now if it would only cool down some--I just got another ex2 just in case---Mike C...AZ

Hi John, i have owned explorers since the xs, i owned the explorer 2 for 5 yrs , this past march i sold my 2 to buy the new explorer se pro i noticed it did not have the flutey sounds like my explorer 2 had, the responce on the se might be a little faster but not that notable. i know my explorer 2 found deep silver and the se was not any deeper. on july 23rd i sold the se pro and im waiting for my new explorer 2 to come in this friday. save your money you have the best explorer minelab made.

Thanks, Mike, You and most others told me what I really wanted to know, unless there was something about the SE or E TRACK that really fired me up, stick with what I got.The more I use the EX2 the more I like it. Unless they put one out with a significant improvement in the basic functions. I was really lucky to chose the best unit for me with my first Minelab.If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

hello i have a explorer xs and man i have too say i hunt with people that use both explorer 2 and the explorer se and i cant seem too see much differance on the amount of finds or kinds of finds and my xs is 13 years old does a great job detecting along side of the others the only way i would up grade is if my xs would kick the bucket then i think i would upgrade too a explorer 2.

Here's what the E-Trac can do in the hands of a good user:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?63,1017891,1017891#msg-1017891

You may want to consider the E-Trac, but not he SE Pro.

Ray-Mo. also seems to be doing REALLY well with the ET - search some of his excellent finds and opinion of the new machine on the E-Trac forum.