Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Didn't think there would be much there...boy was I wrong

JimmyCT

I decided to try an area "an extension" if you will of a park. The area doesn't look like much but I noticed on an aerial photo from the early 1960's there was a faint outline of a baseball diamond. The rest of this field showed absolutely no signs of activity from 1934 up to present day. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a whirl and see if I can find some coins where this baseball diamond use to sit. Well... what a huge disappointment this field was. I noticed storm drains have been installed throughout the field. I hunted back and forth where the baseball diamond was located and the outfield and found two modern coins. The soil appeared to have been "sifted" and looked very clean. "what a bummer" I thought to myself. I head back towards my vehicle and came to the very end of the field. I hit on a target and dug. TID registered 88-90 with signifies quarter. Quarter wasn't deep either (3" - 4") I figured it was a clad quarter... out pops a Barber Quarter!! I "kissed" the damn thing with my digger. :cry2::cry2: Hard lesson learned on this beautiful coin.
I slowed down and started scanning around the area. I get a target ID of penny. I cut the plug and unearth a wheat penny! I move a little more, then hit on another and another and another and another!! Bam, bam, bam wheat pennies were popping up all over! I then hit on another target and cut my plug...i was pulling wheaties out left and right! 13 wheat pennies, a buffalo nickel and a merc dime all in the same hole 😳
I keep moving along finding wheaties scattered about then hit on a rosey, then another rosey, then a merc! it was crazy coin fest 😅 In a little over two hours, I recovered all the coins. Very strange how this field is basically void of targets, yet at the very end of the field it is loaded with goodies! Thanks for looking!

Detector and settings used: Equinox 900, Park1, all-tones, Recovery 4, sensitivity 26-27, stock 11" coil/

Attachments

• park2 (2) - Copy - Copy.JPG
    park2 (2) - Copy - Copy.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 70
  • park2 (3) - Copy - Copy.JPG
    park2 (3) - Copy - Copy.JPG
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 72
  • park2 (7) - Copy.jpg
    park2 (7) - Copy.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 69
  • park2 (8) - Copy.jpg
    park2 (8) - Copy.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 68
  • park2 (9) - Copy.jpg
    park2 (9) - Copy.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 70
  • park2 (10) - Copy.jpg
    park2 (10) - Copy.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 60
  • park2 (11) - Copy.jpg
    park2 (11) - Copy.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 77
I'd definitely get back in that area and grid it in every direction.
That's what I call a honey hole, way to go Jimmy!
That quarter is in excellent condition, had to be dropped around 1925.

I'd definitely get back in that area and grid it in every direction.
That's what I call a honey hole, way to go Jimmy!
That quarter is in excellent condition, had to be dropped around 1925.
Thanks! I always look forward to your “drop” assessment 🙂
Yep, I am hoping I can get back to this spot this coming weekend. I’m going to continue using the 11” stock coil for another hunt or two then I’ll switch to the 10”x5” coiltek. With all the iron in this area I am hopeful I will uncover more good targets. Now only if I could convince the town to mow the grass extra short for me, I’d be extra happy 😂

Nice job Jim it's great when you find a spot like that and it gives up some nice finds! maybe a spot where people gathered
or parked a park I detected in town was similar under one tree coins everywhere all silver and wheats.
Mark

I decided to try an area "an extension" if you will of a park. The area doesn't look like much but I noticed on an aerial photo from the early 1960's there was a faint outline of a baseball diamond. The rest of this field showed absolutely no signs of activity from 1934 up to present day. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a whirl and see if I can find some coins where this baseball diamond use to sit. Well... what a huge disappointment this field was. I noticed storm drains have been installed throughout the field. I hunted back and forth where the baseball diamond was located and the outfield and found two modern coins. The soil appeared to have been "sifted" and looked very clean. "what a bummer" I thought to myself. I head back towards my vehicle and came to the very end of the field. I hit on a target and dug. TID registered 88-90 with signifies quarter. Quarter wasn't deep either (3" - 4") I figured it was a clad quarter... out pops a Barber Quarter!! I "kissed" the damn thing with my digger. :cry2::cry2: Hard lesson learned on this beautiful coin.
I slowed down and started scanning around the area. I get a target ID of penny. I cut the plug and unearth a wheat penny! I move a little more, then hit on another and another and another and another!! Bam, bam, bam wheat pennies were popping up all over! I then hit on another target and cut my plug...i was pulling wheaties out left and right! 13 wheat pennies, a buffalo nickel and a merc dime all in the same hole 😳
I keep moving along finding wheaties scattered about then hit on a rosey, then another rosey, then a merc! it was crazy coin fest 😅 In a little over two hours, I recovered all the coins. Very strange how this field is basically void of targets, yet at the very end of the field it is loaded with goodies! Thanks for looking!

Detector and settings used: Equinox 900, Park1, all-tones, Recovery 4, sensitivity 26-27, stock 11" coil/
Heck yeah, what a score. Congrats Jimmy. The research paid off quite well for you. A honey hole for sure. Different settings, different coils and hitting it from every direction would be my plan. No telling what else the site holds. Again well done and good luck on your return. Mark

You had an outstanding day Jim!!!
Great bunch of silver.
Even though the quarter is Kissed, it still looks much better than the mangled SL quarter I found some time back..😩
Apparently everyone focused where you started at and then gave up after their finds started dropping off.

OOOOOWEEEEEEEEE.... thats a shazzam moment for sure !!!! great job

You had an outstanding day Jim!!!
Great bunch of silver.
Even though the quarter is Kissed, it still looks much better than the mangled SL quarter I found some time back..😩
Apparently everyone focused where you started at and then gave up after their finds started dropping off.
If we look at it from the perspective of your SLQ, my Barber quarter is in uncirculated condition 🤭😂

Wow!! Way to go man!!!.. hhricknmi

Get back there lol
Mark

Very nice! (y)

Reminds me of an area I detected years ago off the back of a large park, an area not maintained and full of trees and brush. I was working the park up to the area and was getting good finds, so I decided work into the brush/tree overgrown area and was finding more silver, buffs, wheats and misc. I used small coils because there was no open area to sweep well. The back of the area was a creek, and I worked 2 areas that opened up and saw some old, rotted rope up in the tree limbs - 2 old swimming holes. Worked along the banks and in the swimming holes when the water level went down - lot of coins, some jewelry, keys, pocket knife's, silverware, dog tags etc. etc. among lots of trash but the silver coins gave me many return trips until the good finds were becoming scarce. It was great and being in the thickets folks in the park couldn't see me back in there, so I felt like I was in my own little world, me and my dog having a great time.

Great hunt and what everyone wants