Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

did any of you ever have those metal stretchers that put a crease in your jeans when they dried

david(tx)

on the clothes line as a kid,don't know what made me think of that,also remembered my mom either sewing or ironing on patches to the knees of my jeans after i wore them out.ahh the good ol' days,bet most kids wouldn't be caught dead wearing those today:D,i don't remember it bothering me or any of the kids around me.

i remember in the sixties they sold this kind of wool heavy shirts or jackets called cpo jackets.they were usually plaid or dark blue,the one i had was unlined and the dang collar was rough as heck and had little sewing imperfections that would rub my neck raw.the only good thing about it was the sleeves were good for wiping my snotty nose on in the wintertime:D.

Thanks for reminding me of how old this "Old Dawgg" really is. Just kidding....I remember I used to have to "sprinkle" the laundry to get it ready for my mom to iron too. How great it is to wear clothes that have been dried out on the line. I love it but I cannot get my wifr to do it much anymore...

Have a good one
The Dawgg

I remember all of that but the cpo. I used to wear army surplus jackets to school. I also remember they made us stop because they said we were being disrespectful......I still can't figure that one out. Never any disrespect intended, just a style with the kids.

Boy you hit the nail on the head with the patched clothes comment! Our kids are so fussy, which I find amusing because the way they dress would dictate the opposite. Baggy "poo-hangers" as I call them...baggy shirts...everything black if they can get it otherwise red is OK. I laugh every time I see them. One night I was taking my wife out dancing and the boys wanted to "cool" me up. They pulled my pants down to my (well never-mind) and put one of thier baggy t-shirts on me. Spiked my hair with jell and sprayed some wierd red color on one side of my head......what a hoot! My wife just about wet herself when I came out of the boys room 'cause we were going to the local "country bar". Memories!

n/t

n/t

i also remember going to the goodwill and buying old fatigue(sp)shirts and leaving the soldiers name on it.i found a good field coat to wear too.we had an army-navy store and on saturdays we would go there and look around.

in the late sixties my running buddy would make a necklace out of leather strips and wear or bracelet of leather to,don't know if you remember that,but he made one and tied it for me and i wore it home.the next morning when i woke up it was gone.i went to the kitchen and told my dad it was gone.

he said yep,i cut it off,he said if you got up in a tree or got it caught on something it wouldn't break and i could strangle myself.he said he didn't care if i wore a chain necklace because it would break.well i was a little bit perturbed at the ol' man but later i realized he was right.

they would't heat a room very good but if you stood with your back to them they would heat the backs of your legs real quick.maybe they would heat alright but they were usually in older homes with no insulation.

but i usually throw them in the dryer for a couple of minutes to soften them up,also the line will rust and i have to wipe it down with oil or the rust will get on my clothes.i guess if i swapped it for some galvanized or vinyl it would help:).

didn't worry about any clothes line,they probably would just hang their clothes out the window of a railcar,unless it was against company policy:thumbup::D.

Jeans were almost a luxury for us. Secon hand everything.!!! However, if you are a Canadian, you would remember Stanfields!!! Grey wool.. We still wear it today. :)

calm seas

M

i saw some other kids with them and badgered my mom to get me some,don't remember how long i used them,the upside was they saved on ironing.:)

never used one, i heard that the cheap ones would leave rust stains..........maybe that was Royals problem?:razz: :rofl:

"Warm morning" heater on the ranch in the fifties. It was a "coal oil" heater and worked good, course anything was good at 40 BELOW! :blink:

pull up a chair, that three legged one is still good, does a have a bit of a smell about it, sorta like Jersey, but what the heck eh? Grab some crackers and cheese, set a spell and tell us about you, or tell us a story.
Oh btw, the fire needs stokin:D
Wayner

40 below,what's that:D.know if my memory serves me right i've seen it about 17 below and that was once,8 and 12 below several times.bet you hated to kick the covers off to use the bathroom at night.

no running water! There was a "chamberpot" under the bed, one needed to be really desperate to go out there in that temperature. I could not "kick" the covers off, they were too many and too heavy:D

i use to get a sore toe and couldn't figure out why,then it donned on me that the covers were heavy and when a slept on my back the covers would weigh down on it.no problems in the summertime.:)

i bugged my mom into buying me a pair,i believe i was in the 5th grade.they looked alright when i put them on in the store,but we wore highwater britches at that time and they looked funny when i looked in the mirror.

i was kind of chunky then and looked kind of funny wearing them,thats my own evaluation:).i think i wore them to school about twice,then it was back to the hightop workboots we all wore if not tenna shoes.i kind of looked like a chubby flamenco dancer in those things.