Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DFX user just bought a T2, Questions about Tones.

nc-joe

I bought a used T2 today with the revision 6.0. One of the upgrades, I think, is dp tone. I generally run my DFX accepting well into the negative number all the way to +95 except 0 - +8. and I run a 10x14 DD coil. I like to hear the iron and the near by good target and I run Tone ID ON on the DFX. I like a different tone for each VDI number.

With that said, I have been reading a ton of the posts on this forum and was wondering if anyone uses the dp tones on the T2? Most either use 2 or 4 tones from what I have read here, but why not dp?

Do any of you T2 users also use a DFX? I know the DFX very well and I am very successful with it, and I wanted to see if there was anyone here that really knows the DFX well and can tell me how the T2 will compare to it when both are run maximized for performance.

I bought the T2 as a back up machine, but I am not agaist giving it a fair chance at being the first string machine.

NC-Joe. I've been using a T2 for about a year. My regular hunting partner uses a DFX and he relies on the tones very much like you described for yourself. I also rely on the tones and have used the DP tone a number of times, but it really depends on the situation when it is useful or not. I hunt in Northern Virginia mostly for relics and coins in relic areas. I am either dealing with fields that are pretty "clean" or wooded areas with a lot of iron and mineralized soils. DP tone works very well in the fields and where the targets are not too deep. And the signals are pretty consistent---if the signal is a clear high pitch, the target usually turns out to be good, not trash. But I have learned by trial and error the best tone in my area is either 2+ or 1. I use 2+ where there is a lot of iron and the discrimination is terrific. I often find good targets next to iron nails that others pass by thinking it is just trash. If the targets are deep, and most of my relic hunting is in areas where the targets are all below 4 inches---usually at the 6 to 8 inch depths---I use the 1 tone. In discrimination mode clear two way tones are the targets I dig, but it seems the 1 tone just gets me deeper.

As for T2 over DFX or vice versa, I've used my friend's DFX and he has tried my T2. We are both very happy with our first choices. I think you may end up using your DFX in some areas and your T2 in others. One thing I am sure of, you will find the T2 a terrific machine that does not strain your arm after hours of use.

I hope this helps.
Mark652

1 and 2 tone are deeper, better for the relic hunter. 3,4and dp would be better for park hunting

Thanks for the info. I used the T2 for about a half an hour today, then pulled out the DFX.

Since you have used the T2 for a while maybe you can answer this. The soil down here is pretty rough. If I FASTGRAB it comes in around 80-82 and manual 84 on the GC and the FOblahblah was up around 1.0? (like 3 full bars) In disc mode I played around with the setting and even when I adjusted disc from 10-40 the Sensitivity would not stablize even if I turned it down to 50 or less. Also I tossed a few coins down and found the signal "chirp" in Disc mode was very rapid and sounded just like the instability noise from just swinging the coil. Should the targets give out a longer sounding tone? Of course the machine worked better in ALL METALS mode but still alot of chatter. Could I have a machine with a defective coil?

you soil conditions are simular to mine i run 80-88, locally and fe usuall 1 as well, the audio responce is fast, faster than my qxt which was faster than the xlt, ive never had any electrical interferance with my t-2 even in areas my whites qxt wouldnt quite down, yesterday i had a little issue, didnt want to settle down and the coil cable into the control box was loose, snugged it up good to go.