Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DFX or MXT What would you do?

What is it about your hunting style or locations that make you feel
the DFX would be a better machine?

I had two previous MXT thought i would try a DFX guess what traded it and got another MXT. Just did not like all the programing on the DFX, MXT simple and works great. But sometimes we just have to try something new.

I would stay with the MXT. I have had DFXs'(I'm a dealer) and I'm sure they have their niche somewhere but for a turn on an go machine, the MXT is winner all the way around. If you like to
"tinker" then you may like the DFX. Both are good but the MXT produces for me. HH Richardntn

Starting with my first garage sell bought machine, I have steadily moved up to better and better machines. I

By what you just said the MXT seems to be working well for you--Just keep in mind because a machine has lots of bell and costs more money does not always make for a better unit---I have both and I only use the MXT--Before you get one try to find some one who has 1 --See if you can use it for a few days--That would give you a SMALL idea if you think it would be the machine for you----I bought the DFX because I thought MORE money ment a BETTER machine---The MXT really stopped me from ever thinking that way ever again----When a replacement for either machine comes out--Money will NOt be the reason I would buy a new detector-But I will be leaning toward the Newer MXT type machine rather than a DFX unit

... while it is true that the DFX has numerous excellent features which, IF USED, make it a somewhat better coin and jewelry detector then the MXT, several points in favor of the MXT need to be considered. First off, the MXT is far easier to learn, and operate, then the DFX. For some, this is a serious consideration. I know of one White's dealer who reports having MANY TIMES traded new MXT's straight across for as-new DFX's, because the owner "found the DFX too complicated." And he reports that NONE of those folks ever asked to trade back. Another factor in favor of the MXT is that it is a vastly better gold prospecting detector then the DFX. My own personal tests, in the actual Mojave Desert goldfields, reveal that the DFX, optimally tuned for small nuggets, and fitted with the stock 950 coil (the exact same coil as on the MXT) can find nuggets as small as 7 grains in weight. The MXT can find flakes as small as 1/4 grain. Obviously, there is a world of difference there. From my own personal experience, I figure I find 50 to 75 nuggets (and flakes) LESS than 7 grains for each 7 grain or larger nugget I recover. It is for this reason that, on the West Coast (i.e. "gold country") sales of the MXT far exceed sales of the DFX. Then, too, there is the economic isue: the $300.00 difference in price between the DFX and MXT can buy such things as accessory searchcoils and high performance headphones, thus greatly enhancing the versatility of the MXT. The astute detectorist takes the needed time to carefully ascertain his or her needs, and chooses the machine best suited for their particular needs. For some, that machine will be the DFX. For others, it will be the MXT. For yet others, it will be the Prizm II. "To each his own." Jeff, your comments and insight are VERY much appreciated, and have been helpful to many. Keep up the good work. Happy Hunting! Jim

I've owned my MXT for only a few months. For such a quality machine the ease of use is incredible. I personally do not plan on upgrading any time soon. But different people have different opinions. I've read posts from some who have traded in their MXT for a DFX and were glad they did so. Some have gone back to the MXT. I agree with the idea of trying to borrow a DFX to see how YOU like it.

I have an MXT, DFX, and still have my Classic III. I love all of them! The DFX is worth haveing. I use it most of the time. I still use the MXT when I am in the mood for knobs. Sometimes it is just easier to set up and go. I have a good assortment of coils for the Classic including the little 4 incher. I still use it in really trashy places and do great with it. Nothing wrong with haveing a good Whites Arsenal! :D

Rich

I have had 2 MXT's and 3 DFX's. The DFX I think is more like an Explorer as far as all the different settings it has. I thought it was confusing. A guy hates to just use a start up program when it has all those other settings. They are there for something. Which the MXT is so easy to use, Anyone will be out hunting in no time. I think they are both great detectors, If a guy wants to spend the time learning the DFX. Its definitly got a learning curve. Hope this helps.

I have to agree with JiffinMI. I love the MXT for the same reasons. Its the best combination of analog and digital I have ever seen. Analog controls are instantly accessable and easy to use. The digital screen is precise, clean, and easy to read, and gives you the info you need to know. I don't like menu scrolling but that is just a personal preference. Don't get rid of your MXT until you are real sure about the DFX. (Or any other machine)

HH/ capnron

Well Just ordered the DFX not knowing or using any of the other whites. Thought it would be a good unit to learn. Maybe if I used a MXT I would not like a DFX. It looks like I could adj. to just about any hunting I would use it for. Yes I have to learn it but I think it's well worth learning.There ae also alot of people that love this unit.Hope I have good luck with it and it works out for me.