Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deus, hate the headphones, but wasn't using them correctly

Rick(ND)

Been out 2 time so far with my Deus and been cussing those headphones as they will not fit on my head and keep falling off, so I tried my Uni Probe on it as I just got a cord with the 1/8 plug. Now looking at my Deus headphones as I got a extra back phone for it and see the headphones are already on them and it is just the remote that you change. My Idea I seen was to adapt them in to a reg headphones where you just have to change the remote part and would have a good fit that wouldn't slide off all the time. Now that I looked at it well and wondered why the twist where the band connect to the ear piece, now I realize these fit over you ears like the bows for you glasses and the band is on the neck more. I was using them where the band was on back of my head and they were close to my ears, but not covering them and when I went lower the band kept falling down and taking the headphones down and feel off. Now putting them on correctly the earphones fit fine and in the shop they stay on with no problem, but will have to try them in the Field first chance I get.
My first day was bad with it as it seem to only get the rusty bottle caps which I posted and got some suggestions to try. I ran basic 1 and my disc higher to around 45, set the notch to 56-76 went with the 3 tone and turn on the iron volume to 3 or 4 and tried it at another spot I have hit so many times over and over again with no real finds the last few time out, but I know there was a lot of iron trash around so figure what the heck. I got a few pull tabs that read 79 and some that were 53-55 and though maybe nickles, go a few signals that were in the 80s, but also heard the low tone of iron now, so I didn't dig. One was a 88-91 depending on how you swept the coil, but was no low tone and solid sounding and took me a bit to find it in the ground as it was off one way from my plug to find a 1963 silver rosie that was sitting at a angle.
I wear hearing aids as my hearing is very bad and being so powerful I can not wear them with headphones, but with the Deus headphones I can wear the headphones with no problem and no feedback and hope they still will now that I found out I wasn't using them correctly.
Lot to learn yet with this detector that I haven't seen in the owners manual as these we learn by our own experience with this or an detector. Like the Sovereign I love now, but for the first few times out I hated it like many others did too, but those of us that kept using them and kept learning found out they are simple to use and they can do very well for coin hunting. My problem is getting out to learn more so I read this forum and hoping to get some more tips to try and yet still finding what will work the best for me, not what works for someone in the eastern or western United States.

Good luck to all and I feel not to bright when I couldn't use the headphone correctly as it was simple to use.

Rick

Well. Better late, than never.:rofl:

I did the same thing with mine when I first got them- tried to wear them like regular headphones. I wonder how many others did that also?

Rick,

As a hearing aid wearer have you considered using a simple and cheap pair of conductive ear hooks to connect your Deus Remote through your hearing aids using the T setting? I use this system and its like being freed from head phones altogether and the signal quality is perfect. I originally tried a neck loop but I wasn't happy with the results as the signal was erratic. Now I just put the hooks over my ears from behind and connect to the remote which I keep in a breast pocket or if you want to keep an eye on the display a wrist pouch would work. Not so good if you want to keep the remote on the stem though.
Hooks are available from the RNID website.

PiN

I am one of those people who had them on the Irish Way and they kept falling off, how dumb can you get!!!!! But then I'm 82 so I think I can be excused for making such a silly mistake

I hope I am still swinging at 82. It would be interesting to see your collection. :thumbup:

wow 82? bless you heart!!! glad your still out and about...god bless my friend and glad we have an icon like yourself representing our great hobby!!

you can wear your headphones any way you want...when or if I reach 82 I would be happy to be able to find my head!

Hi there what collection are you referring to, I am happy to share all of my stories about detecting.Did I ever tell you about how I got arrested in a foreign country.!!!!

oneill said:
Hi there what collection are you referring to, I am happy to share all of my stories about detecting.Did I ever tell you about how I got arrested in a foreign country.!!!!

I am referring to your entire collection of finds throughout your hunting career, and I would like to hear your foreign country experience.

I will try to respond by saying that most of my finds I have given away to family members,ie Rings , necklaces etc , my 2 daughters have bangles that I have had made out of many of the rings I have found over the years, Silver jewellery I have a granddaughter who wears it , I must confess that lots of the useable coinage I spend on providing assistance to one of my daughters with her childrens schoolfees and uniforms as she is a single mum. someEnglish and Australian coins I have in albums which I keep in the hope that the coinage will gain in value and it does.At one time a mate and I had permission to detect on a Racetrack, have you any idea how much money you can find doing that once a week, we would return home with our pockets full of coins, some old and some new plus the best collection of bottle tops you will ever see.Anyhow to being arrested in a foreign country, I had contacted the High Commissioner of this country before going asking for permission to take my MD this was given on the provisor that I pay a bond of $300. upon arrival and that would be returned to me upon leaving.Add to that that it would be my responsibility to obtain permission from private land owners to detect on their land to which I agreed. The Day was new years eve 2005, our usual guide met us at the airport and we set out for our hotel which was some 2 hours away, on the way he had arranged with a local guide for us to detect a site on the way, we met him and he showed us around and I got out my Sovereign and started to detect suddenly a very large person approached us shouting Stop you are Treasure Hunters and you must leave.I pointed out that I had permission to use the MD but he insisted and we left, however he was determined that we were up to no good and followed us to the Carpark and took our registration number.We then carried on in the direction of our Hotel and in an hour or so we reached a crossroad and were stopped again this time by the Military who said that they must search the car which we allowed and then they informed me that we would have to return to where we started from along with several Police officers who demanded that I sign a document agreeing to surrender my metal detector, can you guess my response to that,It was now midnight somewhere in Asia and it aint half hot mum, I was then informed that I must meet with the local budhist Monk and surrender the machine to him.Having a little knowledge of the law by the fact that I had been a Magistrate here in Australia I asked the police chief to inform the Australian embassy as I intended to make an incident out of the whole event at which time I was informed that I was free to go, by this time it was well after midnight and hotter still. We continued on our way to the hotel and then went on to have a great holiday undisturbed by anyone and I became famous as the Australian who got arrested for metal detecting, over the next two weeks managed to detect the local beaches as well as private property with great success.I am glad to say that to this day I am greeted by the customs with great respect each time I return , I think they have some way of knowing my history.What I would advise is that if you plan to visit anywhere and to take your MD make sure that you do the right thing and obtain permission to do that because some countries will seize it without giving any reason, be warned.