Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detuning my Ace 250

grounded

Hi everyone!

I've recently decided to start metal detecting, so i'm probably one of the newest newbies on the site now. I've never owned one, or even used one before, but i have been reading through all the different forums here to get some insite on which model would be right for me and my uses. I chose to purchase the Ace 250 which seems to me to be a very good choice going by what i've read. Since i'm new to metal detecting, this has been a great learning experience for me because there are so many of you out there that offer such great advise (i've actually been writing a lot of it down). My question is why would someone want to detune their metal detector? Wouldn't that limit the area (on the detector) where you are able to detect items at? :confused:

It, detuning, helps to shrink the size of the ground the coil see's. This makes it eaiser to pin point/locate the target for digging.
You will want to learn to do this because there are times, at least I find it so with the ACe, that your not sure if you are right over the target or not when pinpointing. Detuning helps take the uncertainty out. NO question after that.
RR

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm planning on going out tonight in my backyard and getting in some practice time with it. 2 more questions regarding this. (1) Does it matter at what depth the item (coin, tin, steel...whatever) is when detuning, and (2) Once you have the detector detuned, do you have to do it every time you turn it on? (don't you just love us newbies with all these questions! )

Doesn't matter. Detuning is a function only used in pinpointing when you have a big target signal and it's difficult to pinpoint. You had better practice on the basics before you worry about detuning.

Bill

detuning is part of the pinpointing program with the Ace. The pinpointing/detuning process stops when you release the pinpoint button. When released you automatically go back into search mode.