Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

detector for my dad

rbholt80

i want to find a detector that will fit my dad.
he hates messing around with setting them up so he wont gb a detector or use most of the controles on one.
he likes to beach hunt but i need one for him that will work on land to.
needs to have a simple tone id and easy to understand vdi. he likes old analog style meters but if its digital it needs to be simple and easy to see.

so any ideas would be great. i dont want to spend a grand on it either.

:usaflag:I would go with the Ace 250. Basically a "turn on and start hunting" detector, and you can get one brand new for a little over $200. Of course..I am biased because it is my main detector. It is very user-friendly and he will find a ton of coins with it. Good luck..

You can get by on a 'simple' basis with a low-cost detector, such as a Garrett Ace 250 or a White's Coinmaster or a Teknetics Delta. Of these three I like the latter the best. But if you want to get serious and be a bit more versatile, a model ought to have some form of Ground Balance adjustment.

rbholt80 said:
i want to find a detector that will fit my dad.
"Fit" could mean one that has ample looks and features, or it might relate to the physical fit, such as arm cup, grip, balance, etc. Of the first three I mentioned, to me the Garrett has the poorest physical 'fit' due to the short length between the grip and armcup.

rbholt80 said:
he hates messing around with setting them up so he wont gb a detector or use most of the controles on one.
If he hates messing with a Ground Balance control it might be because he doesn't understand its importance. It might be because he doesn't get out detecting enough to do it often and let it become "second nature." Manual GB usually takes 5 to 15 seconds to adjust manually.

I'd suggest a model that has ample controls for versatility, but might make the GB procedure easy. From White's I'd suggest the M6. It has a very functional Auto-Trac circuitry and you can (*preferred) 'lock' a good GB setting. I'd also suggest taking a look at the Teknetics Gamma 6000, with easy manual GB, or the Omega 8000 which has a quick "Ground Grab" function as well as permitting manual tweaking if desired.

rbholt80 said:
he likes to beach hunt but i need one for him that will work on land to.
To hunt a variety of soil types, such as wet sand, dry sand, low mineralized sand, higher mineralized sand, inland sites with varying degrees of mineralization, you're really better served by a detector that has controllable Ground Balance. Again, I would suggest the M6 or Gamma or Omega.

rbholt80 said:
needs to have a simple tone id and easy to understand vdi. he likes old analog style meters but if its digital it needs to be simple and easy to see. i dont want to spend a grand on it either.
I like to use Tone ID sometimes, but not all the time. Thus, I prefer models that provide me that option. The M6 has a 7 tone audio ID or a single tone audio ID. The Omega that I am enjoying lets you select 1, 2, 3 or 4 tone audio in the Discriminate modes. I prefer 2 tone or 4 tone, depending on what I am going after, if I am not hunting in an All Metal, single-tone 'mode.'

Monte

thanks for the ideas. il look at those models and talk to my dad.
he has a 1280X but he wont use it cause its just not right for him.
he used an old whites 5900 years ago and hes used a garret gta 350, but those were loners and the single mono tone wasnt good for him.
i like the teknetics idea but i will check them all out and see what he is drawn to.

SovereignGT... get a binocular harness to chestmount the control box. That will make it light... or you might consider an Excalibur II they say it is a waterproof Sovereign. I think the pinpoint may be different on it but it will be beachproof, waterproof and will work well on land. I have never used an Excal but am a huge fan of the Sovereign for simplicity. Get a 180 meter if he wants the TID number. No detector is more stable as far as locking on to a target. David Keith at Dixie sells a PVC mount that will set the meter a little to the side and tilt it up slightly so it is much easier to see.

There is a LOT of information in the Sovereign audio and it doesn't jump all around like an Explorer, the tone is nice.

The T2 is a good choice for dry sand and land use but it wont work well in wet sand and absolutely wont do if you stick the coil in salt water... but the Sovereign will not be bothered. The T2 will wowowowowowowowow if ou stick the coil in salt water.

I don't know how the Tesoro Golden might work on the beach but it is pretty cool for general use on land, for coin hunting.

The White's MXT is another good all around detector and I believe it is an analog machine with a digital screen, it matches very well with the 6x10 coil.

I'd still recommend the GT because of the ease chestmounting it and because it rules on the beach and if you use it it will rule on land too. You can easily pinpoint with the Sovereign without switching it to "pinppoint mode". You do not have to GB it unless you want to hunt in AM mode. Just turn it on, set the sens and go...

J

yea heck i would like to have a gt myself.
i almost dropped my etrac in water the last time as was at the beach. i grabbed it just an inch befor the batts went in the water. my heart almost stopped over that.
wish the etrac had a way to chest mount.

Hi rbhot80; Try the Fisher ID Edge. It is light,Sensitive, has auto GB works well no matter on land or beach, has a target ID system and is a true turn on and go detector.It also has great discrimmination and a 4 tone ID system that can also be tuned for a single "mono' tone.Your Choice.!!!! This is my main detector. I have a broken back and neck. I've been paralyzed 14 X from my hest down and can still use the ID Edge. If this detector doesn't fit him Idon't know what will. Yes it is fully chest or hip mountble as well. Cost = $300 - 400 used ok. Fisher backs them as well. I wish you both Good luck and I hope this helps. PEACE:RONB

PS: IT also has all the full features of allthe other dtectors lik Notch Disc., Discrimination Control, All metal pinpoint, VDI Target ID even in all metal mode, It "will" find a dime at 10" - 12" deep. Easy to use,Sensitive and Accurate.Think about it ok. RB

How about the Whites Prizm V, its light has a few bells and whistles.And is all touch pad user friendly

i have a id excel and love it just wish it was deeper. i could let him try it and see he likes the feel of it and understands it. if he likes it i could upgrade him to the id edge. good ideas thank yall so much.

ill look into that white. i think hes a little more drawn to fishers and garrets but in my mind its not the brand its usability for him. at the end its his choice not mine. so il make a list of these units yall talk about and get some specs and run this by him.
may have to take him to a shop and let him try some out.

i have a tek mark 1 and a fisher cz6a and a id excel etrac and my kids have an ace 250 but thats cause its the only one i can shorten down enough for them to use.
so ill let my dad try my units and see which bells n whistles click with him the best.

i know i got to get this wright or he wont go hunting

My son got me a bounty hunter 1100 for a christmas gift that was my first detector . It was very simple to use and did not have to make any ground balance or noise cancel settings. The depth was good to about 4 inches but was a easy push on button and go detector.

Nock

I'm really digging my Delta. Turn it on, run the discrimination up to zinc, and notch in nickles.
The only drawback is that those settings return to factory default when you turn it off.
(On the plus side, re-setting them only takes a few seconds)

Don't ever forget and lift the coil out of the water and above the box either. It might not hurt it but the water will run up the shaft to the connector.

I can picture you catching the ET... I have done things like that, especially when I was younger, just react... just in time. Laff...

Julien

If you've got the dough get him a Safari

I would go with the Tesoro Silver uMax. Light weight, basically three buttons to work - on/off, toggle switch for discrimination/all metals, and a dial knob to set the discrimination level.

Not fancy - not expensive - but an excellent detector. My 12 year old uses it when we are out and I'm using my Musky. He finds plenty of stuff and it has decent depth.

Best aspect - you can detect with it all day due to weight.

KS