Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detector Choice for 8 Year Old Son

Vol Fan

Looking to get some input/insight here. My oldest boy is wanting a detector. My explorer xs is just too big for him to swing. My wife has an X70 and at its shortest it is a tad long for him, but being as light as it is, he can swing it. He is a big fella for his age (tall - I am 5' 10" and he comes up to my shoulders already). So here is my question.

Would an X30 be a good unit for him? Also, I have been looking at a few others as well; mainly either a Tesoro Compadre or Silver uMax and have even considered the new DetectorPro Pirate. All things considered, what would you guys think? I know this is an X-Terra forum, but most folks here seem to be straight shooters in comparing machines. I also know there are price differences in these various units, but I am looking for something that he can start simple and grow with if he sticks to the hobby. Price is not the ultimate deciding factor here. We are planning to sell an XLT to cover the purchase. I just have to decide whether to sell it as is or send it in for calibrations. IT detects just fine, but the depth meter is off - seems ok for anything deeper than 5" but less than 5" it hangs showing 5.5". ID is accurate, pinpoint is accurate, just the dang depth reading. White's told me $60 plus parts & shipping, so I am trying to decide if I would get that much more out of it to send it in, or list it for sale stating that the depth meter is off.

Anyway, kinda got off track there. Just wondering what some experienced users think on this, best machine for him to start on and grow with.

Thanks.

Any of those you mentioned would be good starter detectors. Tesoro makes some good detectors, for the money. Lightweight, well balanced and simple "turn and go" technology. DetectorPro is known for some good products as well. I like their headphones and think Gary's technology is right up there with the best. However, the Pirate is too new to the marketplace, to know much about. Frankly, I'm not sure why they would make a 'beach" type machine at 2.4 kHz?

Anyway, all things considered, I'd go with the X-30 for several reasons. First of all, it has audio and visual discrimination. The other three do not. The X-30 has notch discrimination and the other three do not. You already have the X-70, allowing you to share additional 7.5 kHz coils. And, if you and your wife know how to run the X-70, helping him learn the X-30 will be simple.

As to the S-Terra lower rod being a bit too long..... Minelab has shorter lower rods for just this application. Or, you can simply cut off some of the length of the stock lower rod by using a dremel tool, tubing cutter or hack saw, and redrill a hole for the locking clip.

And, one last thing....before you send in the XLT, try this..... Put in a fresh set of batteries. Turn the XLT on and wait for the main menu to appear. Open the battery door and remove the battery while the detector is still on. Wait one minute, reinstall the battery, turn the detector on and see if that don't fix it. Worth a try, anyway.

HH
Randy

Thanks digger. Yeah, I think my familiarity with minelab would be the deciding factor. I am certainly not that experienced, but I cut my teeth so to speak on a Sovereign which I traded for an Explorer XS after about 2 months. We got the XLT for my wife, but our preference really leans to minelab. Did not know about the shorter shaft, where might I find that item for sale? I am gonna let him swing the 70 a bit and see if it will be an issue. Had heard good things about Tesoro, but have never used one. I do think the X-Terra would be one for him to grow with. Heck, if I had my way, I would pick up an Explorer II or SE and let him use my XS, but then price really does become an issue and my wife woudl kill me.

I will try that process on the XLT. If that fails, I think I may see what I can get for it as is; possibly list on e-bay and state it works but needs the depth meter fixed. I just dread the hassle of sending it in and going through that whole process. Outside of the depth, it works perfectly. Would consider using it as a back up, but I don't think it would do anything but sit in the closet.

Next is my 7 year old, and he is really short for his age. I don't know that we will be able to find anything for him to swing with out some kind of modification. Surely to goodness if I get us all 4 swinging detectors, one of us can turn up something good.

Thanks again for your input.

If you do a google search for X-Terra short shaft, you will find several dealers who stock them. Personally, I'd pull the stock shaft out from the middle shaft, place them parallel to each other, find a comfortable length for your son and mark the stock lower shaft for how long it can remain. Make sure you put your mark in a spot that allows for the stainless clip to be reinserted, and aligned with one of the holes in the middle rod. Then, remove the stainless clip from the standard rod, cut on the mark, redrill a hole for the clip (make sure you put the hole in the same location to keep the coil flat when sweeping and the same distance from the new end as it was from the piece you cut off) and give it a try. Save you a few bucks if you can do that.

As to the XLT not showing dependable depth readings.....It sounds like a software glitch. If it is, the "fix" I provided might solve the problem. That information was taken from my DFX manual, so it may be something that comes up regularly. HH Randy