Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting ?

mag1058

Is it legal or ethical to hunt cemeteries? There are some old ones around here (out in middle of fields)and i was just curious if i would find anything good in them. Has anyone here ever hunted any?

n/t

I know some people who detect them, not personally, but people on other forums who ask permission and get permission. Now what they do is hunt all around, not over the actual grave. They detect where people got in and out of their buggies, or cars...depending on the age of the place. I see no problem with it. I do not think it is any different than detecting for civil war relics where people fought and died right on the battlefield and many were left right where they died. As long as someone is not digging up a grave, I see nothing wrong. But everyone has their own opinion.

I have had people ask me if I ever have detected at our local cemetary because it is so old and huge. They told me it would be a good place to go. And the people who suggested it were all elderly people. I just never have done it, not because I think it is wrong, I just don't want to upset anyone.

Now if I found an abandoned cemetary out in the woods or something I would detect all around it, no problem

I know of some that are not taken care of any more in fields and on hills. I could go hunt around them but not the actual cemetery. Like i said i will pray about it and see how i feel. Thanks again for ur input.

there is nothing around here like that, ours are all really large and old, seems like they keep expanding them...lol

I have hunted old church yards that have adjacent cemeteries next to them and have hunted up to the cemetery, but never going into the cemetery itself. You can find lots of old coins adjacent to the cemetery grounds where people staged and gathered. You should be good to go in those areas, but just avoid the actual cemetery itself. Have fun and happy hunting!!

Most are public, and would be ok. However I stay away from them. I think most people would frown on us digging where there loved ones are laid to rest.
I also think that very little could be found. Think about it. People only go there for a few minutes to pay their respects and they don't have picnics, or toss the frisbee. I just think very little would be there. :)
Also be careful, the ones out in the middle of fields could be family owned and private!

I don't detect inside cemetaries out of respect for those who may have left something behind to remember their loved ones. Some leave their wedding rings near the headstones. Others may leave some momento. I don't feel right about taking away a part of them they left behind on purpose.

Also from an outsiders view (non-metal detectorist) we would be viewed as 'grave robbers'. This is not a good way to enhance the view of our hobby...in fact it would do more harm. We would lose more and more places to detect.

There are lots of good places to detect and I think I'd give up detecting if all that was left was cemetaries.

if it was legal i wouldnt do it! walking around on peoples graves to me is disrespectfull.

No this person would not do it either. Just being in one with a shovel no matter how small would not be in anybodys best interest. I am sure some have but it wouldn't feel right to me.

but being part native american i was taught all graves abandonded or not are sacred and should stay that way. there are so many other places to hunt...but thats just my thought on it.

The old cemeteries in the country I have hunted around where they parked cars and had lunch on wooden tables but I have never detected over or around the graves! Same with church cemeteries I just detect around the old church and not the cemetery itself! Never found much any way...my ex found a silver half by the church steps one time....but not much of anything else! Where they have picnics and family gatherings by or outside of the cemetery I myself would think they would be ok to detect....but if the preacher or others live near the building than I wouldn't do it or I would ask permission! That is my thoughts on the subject and you can agree or disagree! Everyone thinks differently about this subject and most wouldn't do it out of respect for the dead! :angel:

God Bless!
Betty

but he was asking about detecting around graveyard, not over the actual grave, where the buggies pulled up and where people walked in etc......I see nothing wrong with detecting these areas.