Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

detecting rings

Bruce Olson

i know it is between nickel and dime does that mean in the middle or it show on pull tabs i know bounty hunter detect ring on pull tabs not sure about Garrett. detector i using is cx plus. i getting lot of info by air testing but i got no ring to test that.

Garrett detects rings all up and down the scale depending on the composition of the ring. Most gold rings will hit around pulltab or foil. White gold will often hit in the silver range. If you have any rings of your own or your wife has some, airtest them and see where they hit on the display.

Bill

here's my tip, dig all nickel/pulltab hits because you never know after 568 pulltabs number 569 might be that gold ring worth enough to pay for your detector and a steak dinner, I know it gets frustrating knowing you are wasting your time digging all the tabs but one day it will pay off, by the way I have Garrett Ace 250 and all rings but silver hit right around that dreaded area we all hate, WHY CAN'T ANY OF THE MAJOR DETECTOR MAKERS FIGURE THIS OUT, HOW TO TOTALLY DISCRIMINATE RINGS FROM PULLTABS! HAPPY HUNTING CHRIS

WHY CAN'T ANY OF THE MAJOR DETECTOR MAKERS FIGURE THIS OUT, HOW TO TOTALLY DISCRIMINATE RINGS FROM PULLTABS! HAPPY HUNTING CHRIS

Rings and pulltabs are one and the same, electrically. You should be grateful for this fact, in fact. This whole discrimnination thing is easy to figure out, and to answer your question Chris, the many makers already have. Here's the result:

There is no magic bullet. The Laws of Electro-physics are immutable.

Metal is metal; its just what it is. To be really useful it is refined, amalgamated and alloyed. Then it is made into more things than you or I can count. Some of it is valuable, fiscally speaking, while some of it has other uses that make it worthy, in one way or another.

Jewelry metals can be anywhere on an electrophysic "scale of conductivity," from below nickle range to solid coin, depending on their composition, configuration or proximity to other metallic items. I found a gold charm last fall that wouldn't hit solid in foil range and more than a few rings that have come through loud and clear like coins.

These things are not revelations or new; you've probably heard them many times before. But, discrimination, while not perfect, is your greatest friend. Every old timer knows this and understands it's real benefit: its ability to differentiate iron. You read that right - iron. NOT pulltabs, foil and other junk.

Iron is, and has been, the most common metal of man for a very long time... and only until recently the most worthless to our greedy eyes. However, it too, has it's uses. It's a harbinger of former usage and thus potential value on sites. In other words, find old iron and you know you have a potentially good site.

It may come as a surprise to know that discrimination based on electromagnetic phase realtionship was first created as a way to IDENTIFY iron, not eliminate it. The earliest detectors had no discrimination and so found everything. Hobbyists at the time knew that the best thing was to be able to ID ferrous targets - then decide to dig or not. Some very nice and even valuable iron relics have been found over the years, simply because the information was there to base a decision upon

Aluminium came later in profusion, and while good for holding beer - it's highest calling, I might add - it, too, fits into it's place in the spectrum of conductivity. It just so happens that it and the sundry other "junk metals" are in the same general range as those items we deem valuable. Sheer happenstance, as it were.

It's not whether they are in a ring shape or not, although some of them are. It's ONLY that they conduct electricity and upset an electrical field the same as some other things - in this case rings and jewelry. There is little to be done about this - so you have to work with that. It's more about attitude...YOURS.

Consider it this way:

A target is either - - -

- Low range. This includes the ferrous items and small foils, due to the way they refract the signals induced in them by the emitter. This range is easy to identify so even todays basic detector can DISC this stuff. We are lucky for that, by the way.

- Mid range. This is where nickles, tabs, canslaw, screwcaps and most gold alloys land. Believe it or not, manufacturers have come a loooooong way in opening this range up - giving us more information about the items that fall in the scale here than ever before.

- High range. This is the territory of our beloved silver and other highly conductive metals. It is also easy to identify. Coins, some jewelry, copper, brass, pot metals and others land here. I daresay I have found scads of items that rang out as high range that were NOT coins or other valued items.

As you;ve noted, it is the midrange that causes us the most grief, for even a high-range junk item, say a good sounding electrical connector, has some "value" - not so, a wad of midrange canslaw! It is OUR perception of these things that is at the heart of the matter, not a detectors ability to differentiate something.

However, as long as the "good stuff" shares the same range as the crap, we will be forced to dig junk. It's how you view all this that matters. An accomplished detectorist learns to view his chosen machines response as one of the three range-options mentioned above and nothing more. I mean that implicitly: NOTHING MORE.

He's not swinging his machine waiting to be told when or when not to dig. He's on-site to learn that something IS there, to DETECT in other words. He knows the next step is RECOVERY, not walking on by. Exercise is only a side benefit of this pastime.

This is why I like tone ID detectors. I dont use the audio tones to tell me what NOT to dig, but merely as a way to tell me where an item falls on the scale without having to look at a display. Then I only have to judge repeatability and solidity of the signal. "If it will repeat in one direction and can be distinguished on it's own... DIG."
I'm sure you've heard that said, in one way or another - for good reason. It's all you really need to know.

I notice John B. (Edmonton) has begun showing more and more of the junk he recovers. He is one of the best and most accomplished detectorists around here (or anywhere, for that matter) and there is something to be learned when he does a thing. I suggest all of us will do more and go farther if we accept these things. In fact, you may want to begin developing a perverse pride in the amount of junk you recover, hereafter.

David,
Right on! The best discriminator is your eyes. Dig and look. When I sold insurance they told me that for every 100 "NO" replys I would get 1 "YES". So I learned that when someone said "NO" that it was one more "NO" closer to a "YES".
A pulltab is a "NO" that gets me one closer to a "YES"
If I have time to dig all the "NO" beeps - I do.
If I have limited time at a site - I skip the "NO" beeps.

FYI - I have not sold insurance the past 22 years. I guess I couldn't take all the "NO's" !!!!!

if there more picture of detector sorry didn't see it on the forum.
i was using 6 range and still get pull tabs. i get then in 5 to 51/2 which is pull tabs 4 to 41/2 is nickels.

Thats about right Bruce.

i was using 6 range and still get pull tabs. i get then in 5 to 51/2 which is pull tabs 4 to 41/2 is nickels.

Thats right, Bruce. Pulltabs come in several shapes and sizes, more than a few metal compositions and the dreaded "manglers" - the ones that are bent and beat up in all sorts of ways.

THere is also the the "beavertail" part of a pull-ring tab that reads just like a nickle. With all this going on, they can fall any where in the scale from about 4+ to 6, with little predictability.

You can't get rid of them, unless you go where they are not. You might as well get to know what they mean.

Alot of peole have said that. I doubt theyre worth the expense of storing them until you have enough. I just give them to a charity, The Ronald McDonald House, once I have a bunch.