Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting post

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
So let's here of an unusual place you detected and tell us about it. I will go first. One of the unusual places I detected was in a big cow pasture in Virginia looking for Civil War relics. There were many cows roaming with us and even more cow pies! I have dug many 69 caliber round balls in that field. Some as deep as 16"

16" deep!!!!!? I would hate to see that cow!

I detected in glowing surf, all movement in the water....waves, fish darting off, detector shaft going from left to right, left a light trail! found out latter it was some sort of bio-luminessent (sp?) sea microbes...........very beautiful!!!!!

chuck.

n/t

Chuck, I have seen that phenomenon several times and it truly is a remarkable sight.

The waves boiling with light and every movement in and of the sea just luminescing.

It is the sort of thing never to be forgotten.

I used to detect these 2 old fort locations that were turned into horse/cow pastures after the war. One cow pie gave a strong signal - lo & behold, a 3 ringer lay under it. Some of the horses would follow me around as I detected - going slow & eating the grass as I moved slowly also. Guess they liked company as they would keep up with me for 2-3 hours.

One unusual situation occurred there one time. Two brothers were passing through - one a detectorist and one a non - but well oiled in the drinking dept. They were leaving and the non said why not try there - pointing to an unlikely spot. The other brother did , discovered a rifle range stand and we all proceeded to dig old cartridges and some live rounds also. Hundreds of them.

Steve in so la

Here's something I dug at this same place -

arguilette.jpg

This is an Arguilette - during the civil War the guys who fired the cannons wore them on their shoulder braids. If the enemy looked like they were going to take over the cannons the operator would stick the arguilette in the fire hole .They would then ram the rod down the barrel to bend it inside. Then they would hit the outside of it to bend it so now the cannon could not be fired. Particularly not fired at the guys running away !
Today these items are worn on dress parade shoulder blades. Inside the shaft it is threaded so it can be attached to the braids.
I dug this one at a US fort site. The small eagle button is a gen service one - the larger button is called a Great Coat button. Mainly used for large, heavy overcoats. Steve in so az

C. Nyal de Kaye said:
Chuck, I have seen that phenomenon several times and it truly is a remarkable sight.

The waves boiling with light and every movement in and of the sea just luminescing.

It is the sort of thing never to be forgotten.

yes, it is burned into my memory and I will never forget it!!!!

chuck.

The big button is an oldie! :thumbup:

My answer has always been a resounding 'NO!!!!',for two reasons:There are laws prohibiting disturbing graves,and in my personal opinion-Even if it was NOT against the law,shows very little respect for those interred therein.................:wacko:

My friend Ginny and I, while visiting her in Marble Hill, MO, hunted odd places and around river banks and one time inside a cow pasture, but we kept watch very carefully in case a bull didn't want us there....never found anything, as we weren't there very long and only hunted near the fence for a faster escape! ;) :) :angel: Ma Another time we hunted an old deserted town near the Mississippi River and found some chinese coins? and a few other things....don't remember now but was a fun day with a friend from our club and my ex while visiting with my daughter and son-in-law years ago! Love to hunt the woods and river banks and etc.! :thumbup: :) :angel: Ma