Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:detecting:Only an MD'r knows the feeling:detecting:

MONKOO8

Surfers have a saying that "only a surfer knows the feeling." Having caught a couple of waves (literally 2) I can attest to the rush and excitement one can get from catching a ride with Mother Nature. I'm sure the analogy can be applied within' the context of whatever we enjoy most about being human. Right now for me metal detecting is no different. The open field, empty lot (and im sure some of you;surf) is my surf. Granted I am a born again detectorist, only a couple of months back, but it is as much fun today maybe more as it was when my dad took me along as a kid 25 years ago. The thrill of finding things of the past and reading about the things others' find cannot be compared and can only be understood once you swing, "ding", and pop something out of the ground for yourself.

Well this last week I managed to get out for a lot of dirt surfin'. The week started out ridable enough, Tuesday found 6 wheats, Wednesday a fair amount of coins and a tiny silver heart dangle. Thursday there was a bit of chop and I wasnt able to really catch a wave to ride (one wheat). So Friday those waves started a growin' and spacin' (think its called breakin') and I visited the same school that produced the two silver dimes last week thinking there was a whole trove....................No more silver coins to be found in that area. Unexpectedly a small ring with a cross punch popped out instead...it was about an inch or so under some oak tree matter...when I brushed the dirt off it had a real yellow sheen and i thought gold...not quite, but it was silver.

Saturday met up for the first time with some new metal detecting friends (3, 4 w/me) at an older school in town. Within' a half hour the waves picked up and were really curlin' somethin rad. Almost simultaneously maybe seventy five or a hundred yards apart, one of those buddies popped a early 40's merc and I popped a 1954 rosie. Well we drifted a bit closer to the merc and i started filling in a gap really griddin' it hard and 30 minutes later 'low and behold' out popped an 1892 Barber dime....it was two inches or less deep....I couldn't believe it....That was a perfect wave. What a rush! [attachment 134906 004.JPG][attachment 134907 005.JPG]

Sunday arranged to meet with Dad again at a couple of spots. The waves were deceptive, there had been permission givin' to detect, but when we showed up it was retracted by the lady of the house. Dad only had a short while to hunt and so we visited another nearby school which was in a very visable location. After the permission denial I could tell Dad had other things on his mind...Unfortunate breaks for him. One of the two of his dogs got bit by a rattlesnake the night before and he had some other engagements that afternoon as well so I can understand why he didnt see that Sacajawea coin laying on top of the ground next to a hole he dug earlier. He had left and I passed over the area later and saw what appeared to be a rusty washer laying on the ground but when the Garrett passed over it 'ding' ding'. Well the weather was fair Sunday so in the evening I decided to try for one more good wave and head back to the playfield where I found that first piece of gold. On the way there told myself if anything jewelry good pops I'm leaving. About twenty minutes later, 6 or seven signals, just casually floatin in that ocean of green and then....Boom! a gold 10k ring swam up outta the soil and 15 minutes later I was drying out heading home. What a weekend...Only an MD'r can know the feeling!..................................Enjoy the pics and happy hunting! [attachment 134902 003.JPG][attachment 134904 019.JPG][attachment 134909 010.JPG]

p.s. I apologize to any of you actual surfers for incorrect jargon or metaphor.

What a Fab week of hunting! I'd rate it 9.9 out of 10 and the only way it could have possibly been better is if you had scored a gold coin to go along with all that great loot. Made me feel like going detecting, for sure.

Chris

1892 was the first year for Barber dimes. They don't get any older than yours!

I like your analogies. As I read your interesting tale I could almost feel your words coming out of my head.

sweet finds dude :super: great gold - nice oldies - cool silver & a pile of new coins to go with it cant get much better than that.
lazyaussie

Interesting mix of goodies!

Did the sinker come from a school yard too?

There are what appear to be a couiple of bullets in the one pic too.

CJ

Welcome back to the wonderful hobby of metal detecting!:bouncy:Congrats on the gold and silver!:beers:WTG!:thumbup:Nice clad haul as well!:clapping:Sorry to hear about your dad's dog being bitten by a snake. That's a drag. Be careful out there and above all, have fun! Happy Hunting!:)

Congrats on all the great finds, especially the 1800's Barber.:clapping:

Hey Chris

I think there is some hunters out here that are matching your finds for a change! Looks like your type of stash...well actually there seems to be a little more in these pics!:biggrin:

Congrats MonKoo8

Don

All the positive feedback is really encouraging. I really look forward to reading and looking at all of your posts as well. Its really great to see that so many of us Garrett swingers had an exceptional week.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Sweet finds!!:thumbup: