Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting in Bermuda (long-winded post)

JHinPA

Howdy all !
Last spring, I posted a question on this forum asking for info on bringing my detector along on a cruise to Bermuda. There were some replies, but I guess no one knew if it was legal or not. Well, the cruise was wonderful, and I wanted to share my experiences regarding detecting with all of you in case anyone else has the chance to visit the Island.
Prior to leaving, I contacted (repeatedly) the Bureau of Tourism to see if it would be OK to detect. They never gave me an answer, but said they would get back to me. Still waiting. So I took my Minelab Sov and off we went. Once on the island, I stopped in the local police station at St. Georges and they said that I was free to detect my heart out, keep what I find and they even offered some advice on good locations. "No Problem using a detector on the island" they said. Great !! But time did not allow me to use it until we were in Hamilton. Once there, My wife & I put aside a day for the beach, her with book in hand & I with gear. We were at "Horseshoe Bay" and I stopped to see the lifeguard to let him know what I was doing BEFORE I started. He said "NOT ALLOWED ON THIS BEACH". What?? I explained the OK from the local police, and he said that this beach (and most of the other big name beaches on that side of the island) were designated as "State Parks" and Detecting was not allowed without a permit. PERMIT?? Apply for a permit, pay the fee, and wait for my OK to come in the mail. :rage:
Moral: OK to detect, if you do your homework first and make sure the beach is not a "State Park". BUT - water is crystal clear and the sand is fine-grained hard-pack. Minimal waves too. So if you lost something, it wouldn't be too hard to find it straightaway.
I hope this information helps someday. As for me, I will go back someday (Beautiful place !!)and I will bring my Minelab along again. - JHinPA