Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:detecting:Couple of Firsts and Affirmation:detecting:

MONKOO8

Hey Everyone,
Hope things is well.
On this end there is a huge wave of excitement.
For me last week was most fortuitous. Managed to get out detecting monday thru saturday.
Tuesday was my first three silver coin day. That was and is really exciting. The dates were interesting to me as well 36' 63' 63'.
Friday a friend told me of a lost nugget bracelet in his front yard which i was unable to locate...felt i did a fair job on the search,
my guess is that it was found or not lost where thought. sliced the tip of my finger on a small piece of sheet metal in the bottom of one hole. that sucked.

Saturday.....Now that is the humdinger.
Saturday I hooked up with a detecting buddy to try out an older park that the local club thankfully no longer seems interested in.
My friend told me he and a couple of friends recently have pulled out a couple pieces of silver from this park.
So i figured what the heck lets see if we can get lucky.
Well the weeds were a bit high and there was a small patch of low grass that we gravitated towards. Figured to work that area and see what happens.
In twenty minutes i managed one zinc cent.
Fifteen minutes some screw caps and old pull tabs later the GTI 25OO gave a nice first pass two way bell tone. It was deep beyond depth recognition and i want
to say it showed size B once and notched somewhere on twenty five and then fifty cent.Only briefly and only on the first pass...(more often than not this is a junk id)
I had a real hard time pinpointing or even getting a consistent signal after the first pass but i was interested in testing the depth of the Garrett...Lately I've really been torn about not knowing what this machine is cabable of and a bit on the fence about my future with it.
So after the first pass and with the general lack of targets i figured to pull the handle and dig...after about four inches my buddy was near and i asked him to run his machine over the hole.
He was using one of the most popular down under machines out right now. He could not get a target reading out of the hole. The most he could deduce was that there was a piece of metal there somewhere.
The pro pointer still hadn't made contact and having come this far i figured to dig the depth of the digger at least. Well a couple more inches of dirt and finally the pointer let me know
something was at the bottom of the hole and near. With the blade of the Lesche buried to the hilt i tried to dig around the target since the pointer told me i was near center.
This was the moment of brainfart. As I tried to clear the side of the hole I saw what appeard to be an old mucked up aluminum two litre cap slide out from the edge. My little bird egg in the bottom of the hole turned out to be a large 1919 Walking Liberty chicken egg!
I just knew that i cracked the egg and just sat for a second staring in the hole...hoping it was a two litre cap.
Couldn't tell you if i ever remember feeling so thrilled and anguished at the same time.
There went my submission to best finds and a great tale of the Garrett winning the heads up with another top of the line detector.
All in all, i still consider it a great find and another equally great lesson for the future...(when i come across that silver dollar)
The Garrett has proven its mettle and i shall be staying on its side of the fence for a while.
Enjoy the pic and Happy Hunting! [attachment 161932 046.JPG]
P.S. I seem to have screwed up the settings on my camera and the files are too large to upload...if i can figure it out in the next couple days i will post some better pics.
P.S.S. was using GTI 25OO with the stock coil and factory coin setting.:garrett:

Good hunt and finds.
Good story and nice silver that you found:thumbup:

Very nice find. My favorite coin. Once again the 2500 wins out against the naysayers. Maybe you can find its brother in the same area. Many years ago I found two of those puppies side by side standing on edge that had obviously been passed over many times for not producing a realistic enough signal but I couldn't pass it up. Hope you find some more of those goodies.

Bill

Good for you! I've only found one WL Half in my life. On Easter Sunday 2008. Mine was also very deep. At least 10 inches. Any day with more than one silver coin is a good one to me. My best is five I think. You had a great week!

I have a story for you from a week or so ago. Met a guy with a brand new Whites Spectra V3 who claimed to have 20 years experience detecting. We detected the same area for about an hour. He was positively awful. He was completely disrespectful to the park, leaving huge hunks of loose sod where he'd dug, and he recovered only about eight targets to my 40 or 50. When we compared finds I didn't show him half of what I found. He insinuated that I was showing him finds from a different hunt because I couldn't have found so much in so short a time with my GTI 2500s old technology. I was a bit insulted and suggested that he should repair the damage he was doing to the sod and that he could use some practice recovering targets. He gave me the answer I hate to hear. It's only grass. It will grow back. I told him I was tired of answering for guys like him. Do I need to tell you that we'll never be best friends? I reckon the moral of the story is it's the operator and not the detector. The 2500 is a great machine in the right hands. I dig plenty of super deep targets. I dig plenty of shallow targets. It's a dead on pinpointer. Imaging is where it's at for me. What more do you want?

Chris

cwilk said:
Good for you! I've only found one WL Half in my life. On Easter Sunday 2008. Mine was also very deep. At least 10 inches. Any day with more than one silver coin is a good one to me. My best is five I think. You had a great week!

I have a story for you from a week or so ago. Met a guy with a brand new Whites Spectra V3 who claimed to have 20 years experience detecting. We detected the same area for about an hour. He was positively awful. He was completely disrespectful to the park, leaving huge hunks of loose sod where he'd dug, and he recovered only about eight targets to my 40 or 50. When we compared finds I didn't show him half of what I found. He insinuated that I was showing him finds from a different hunt because I couldn't have found so much in so short a time with my GTI 2500s old technology. I was a bit insulted and suggested that he should repair the damage he was doing to the sod and that he could use some practice recovering targets. He gave me the answer I hate to hear. It's only grass. It will grow back. I told him I was tired of answering for guys like him. Do I need to tell you that we'll never be best friends? I reckon the moral of the story is it's the operator and not the detector. The 2500 is a great machine in the right hands. I dig plenty of super deep targets. I dig plenty of shallow targets. It's a dead on pinpointer. Imaging is where it's at for me. What more do you want?

Chris

I agree with you Chris some people haven't got a clue and that makes it look bad for the rest of us.

Yeah I told the boys on the V3 forum that it was just a video game on a stick. :rofl: A lot of these companies wish they had Garrett's "old" technology.

Bill

Hey Hey,
Thanks Everyone for looking and the comments. It seems that the camera situation has been resolved.
Willy, I'm really grateful for the opportunity to have found one of these coins (still kicking myself on the nick) and if there is a second nearby hopefully my ears, machine, body, and luck are up to par on locating it.
Katz, the pics should answers yon query.
Epi, stick with it...keep learning your machine, study your surroundings and you'll get lucky. Oh yah...and take your time.
Gracias Chris. I bet your WL was a clean recovery...Alas a clean pull was not my fate...I can only think of the variables in the situatation...slicing the tip of my finger night before,(saw some glass in a couple earlier holes) then giving another machine more cred on an ID than my own and experience leading to the momentary lapse of sticking that digger in the hole at the end of the recovery. Oh yah...it was also the largest keeper to date.
Well my Dad is workin' on crafting a deer tine poke digger for the next occasion such as this...deep packed park dirt with some rock mixed in. (I think someone here on forum mentioned that one)Rick?
As for the careless fool with no etiquitte. It sounds as though you did the best you could with this sack. Its so unfortunate that we are all judged on these ignorant dolts' behavior as it is they who leave all the evidence in their wake.
Enjoy the pics and Happy Hunting!
[attachment 162052 046.JPG] [attachment 162053 038.JPG] [attachment 162054 035.JPG]

Good huntin'!:clapping:Nice pics!:thumbup:Congrats on the silver!:cheers:Thanks for sharing!:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Oh yeah, as for that jerk leaving all those holes(Chris' post). :angry: I would've taken pictures of him and those holes he was leaving. Then I'd post the pics on all of the detecting forums and caption"Beware of jerk!"

Looks like the Half dollar is 1919. Oh how I remember seeing them when I was a boy.
Hopefully I'll find one laying around somewhere. Great hunt.
Katz

I nick my share of finds including plenty of silver coins. It ain't the end of the world. Heck. That thing has been buried for 75 or 80 years. What's one little scratch? 1919D? Great find. Sort of a semi key coin. Leave it just like it is. Beautiful!

Chris