Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Detecting along side rail lines

relic-hunter

Hello all, I am kind of new to detecting and was wondering if any one hunts along abandoned or active rail lines. I just bought my first detector and have hit the local beach twice. I found several clad coins and some trash. So that is my experience so far. I thought maybe being that a large number of rail lines were built back in the latter half of the 1800's they might turn up some interesting relics. Any thoughts?

Ken

n/t

Old train stations are good. Still a lot of trash. Cop swill chase you away in the name of home land security If you go near the tracks.

I wondered about that too. I have an old abandoned line behind my home,the rails have
been long ago removed. Just didnt know if the finds would be worth the effort. Since they
are so close , when the ground thaws I think I'll give it a shot,who knows might be some
interesting finds :shrug:

Terri

I do know of some who have done it and with some nice relic success. They searched beside the tracks and alone lines that had troop movement and around the places where the trains stopped. This was some years ago, though. HH jim tn

By their nature, there's quite a bit of large iron scrap around train stuff.

Be prepared for lotsa diggin!

But that's NOT to say there aren't impressive relics there...

ummmm, well relic - hunter, ive been known to detect up near a railroad, but not in the gravel or track areas. too many safety concerns for that, especially with headphones on! besides, even the best machines go bonkers with all that gravel and iron around, not to mention the usually present hi power lines. its just not the best detecting area. i dont like digging iron spikes and bolts, and thats what i usually find on a rr track. BUT... if you happen to find one of the stations or warehouses, then the possibilities will be endless. good luck, and hh,

I wouldn't use headphones in area's by railroads. I'm not sure if its legal to search by any active railroad.I would find a old park and forget about rail tracks.

Ken, I have had some luck detecting an abandoned RR line I found out about while researching on line. Even though I had my BH 202 set to not pick up iron, there was so much the machine kept going off anyway. I am glad it did, because it yielded some interesting relics from early 1900's that I did not expect to stumble across and, I did not know iron was so popular back then. If you are near lines from the 1800's, that should be fun though you will probably dig deeper! The key is to research before you go. Bring ant killer spray! It's more exciting than digging up these things! :pulltab:

No idea. Think it was a post directional maybe or something that was on a wall? The front stays shiny the back is all rusted and has a spike or nail protruding from the back. Very little info on line about what they used to decorate or even make train cars back then.

n/t

Yeah I guess it does kind of look like one of those. Is the end that is pointed up in the photo open?? Maybe the car it was attached to is buried somewhere nearby. Or maybe it had a run in with the train!

the curled horn is flat and hollow on the back, and there are I think 6 or 7 holes where someone would put screws or nails to hold it onto a flat surface. Could have been the wood section of an old car? Once I get back will check the area more thoroughly. Would have gone today but it's storming here, tons of rain and lightening.

Yup, it's some flavor of vehicle electric horn. 1/2 the pot metal casting. Other side held the electric components.

...Dark colored camaro took wrong turn leaving grammy's house one night and ended up hi -centered across the mainline...
They walked back to grammy's house to use the phone...
It took the freight 800ft after impact to get stopped.

Gotta feel sorry for those engineers sometimes. Bet that ruined his whole day, and maybe more.

[quote echostar61]I have found a similar looking one and the name on mine was Claxon I believe.

Terri[/quote]
I mis spelled this, it should be Klaxon :please:

Terri

I have hunted old abandoned rail line north of Lamesa Tx. There was hundreds rail ties date nails I sold to collector for $.50 a piece.