Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

desperate for one last dig

Winter has had us in it's grasp for the last couple weeks here in Northern Wisconsin. The other night before the snow hit I was desperate to get one more swing in before the snow gets too deep. I hunted around in my yard for a half an hour with my Golden Umax until I got a signal that I was almost possitive was a coin. I sure didn't want to dig through frozen ground for a piece of trash. I finally found a signal that I thought was worth going for. After more than 20 minutes working my shovel through the frozen soil I had my target. It turned out to be a 1967 Washington Quarter. I wish it would have been three years older (Silver) , but I was happy it was a coin and not a piece of trash nonetheless. That just may be my last coin for 2008. It sure felt good to get a little more swinging time in this year. Who knows I may get deperate again and try one last time , but it sure is a struggle digging through the frozen Tundra ( I'm not too far from Green Bay so I figured I could use that term ). For all of you lucky ( and Smart) enough to live in warmer climates - Keep em beepin and Happy Hunting. CoinShooter-Craig

... for that little tale :)
I promise to keep hunting and posting, if you'll read 'em!

chris i feel your pain man, living up here in maine, frozen ground is a royal pain, i just recently recieved a brand new golden and just aching to try it

It's frustrating! I'm getting desperate; I'm going to try to hit a sledding hill or two tomorrow before the bottom falls out of the thermometer next week. By the way, is that a Wolf River brown you're holding in your avatar? Nice fish.

Relic

It almost hit 70 today, I thought I was going to break a sweat. I wanted to ride one of my motorcycles. Instead I sat out back and watched the wife BBQ for awhile, then came in to watch a game, ate, then took the dogs for a walk - Whew!!! :poke:

Relic. Yes that is a Wolf River Brown Trout caught near the town of Lily in Langalde County ( Wisconsin ) . It went about 5 1/2 pounds and 24 inches not too bad for a inland ( Non-Lake run ) Brown trout , even though I've lost em bigger than that. thanks for the compliment. In the area where people used to park to fish in that spot I found a silver quarter , a silver dime , and a few wheaties plus several modern coins with my Vaquero. CoinShooter-Craig

I'm well-aquainted with your area. I lived in Green Bay for over 20 years and hunted around Mountain for deer and grouse for most of that time. Friends had a cabin on county W outside Mountain on the Second South Branch of the Oconto. Spent a lot of time fly fishing the Wolf, Pike, Pine, Peshtigo and Oconto for trout. Even dated a girl from Antigo for awhile. Still get up to Buettner's once a year to judge a whitewater slalom race.

Oops, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Relic

Hi Relic. No problem hijacking my thread. My two favorite topics to discuss are Metal Detecting and Trout Fishing. I trout fish all of the Rivers that you mentioned , except I fish the Main South Branch of the Octonto instead of the Second South Branch ( of the Oconto ). I have fished the Second South Branch , but it's a little small for my liking since I mainly throw home made spinners. I mainly fish the Wolf because I live within a couple minute Walk from it. Other good Trout Rivers that I fish are the Hunting River ( A Wolf River Tributary ) , the East Branch of the Eau Claire ( North West of Antigo ) , and the Popple River in Florence County. Out of the Wolf and the other Rivers that you and I mentioned I have caught dozens of Brown Trout between 20" and 26". I've even lost some Browns that I know had to be approaching the 30" mark. That's pretty big for an inland Brown ( Non-Lake run ). I've caught a few Brookies over 16" and my biggest Brookie was about 18 1/2". I'm sure people would rather be reading about metal detecting on this forum , but a little Trout talk should'nt hurt anyone. Anything to make me forget about this cold and miserable winter. If you come up to my neck of the woods let me know and maybe we can hook up for a little detecting or Trout fishing. I play Bass Guitar in a Band that plays in your neck of the woods every once in a while down in GreenBay / DePere , otherwise we usually play in the NorthWoods. Nice talking Trout with you! Keep in touch. CoinShooter-Craig