Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

depth

Hi Bonnie,

That`s a loaded question, but my Explorer surprises me with the depth that it will reach. More specifics regarding your intended scenario would probably elicit better answers from those more qualified to reply than myself.

What I can say is that I consistently make finds that my son can`t with his ACE 250.

What part of Canada are you in.

Russ

Bonnie, Normally I would say the Explorer but if you are a girl it might not be right for you.
I would check the other MineLab models for a lighter machine........Anyhow, The depth will certainely depend on the Coil you intend to use. But, If you have arms like Popeye you might consider the Explorer. I would try one out first, at your local dealers !!!!!!!
Happy Hunting !!!!!!!!

I can only swing it with comfort for 3 hours verse my troy X5 that I can swing all day

the weight is way out of ballance and minelab just doesn't get the message all their machines are the same way.

Hi Bonnie,
There are after market products one can buy to eliviate the weight.Basically they are a harness set up that transfers the distribution of weight to the shoulders and chest.Makes the machines weight virtually unoticable.My 16 year old son uses one and hunts all day with the Explorer.
Good luck in your choice, Explorers ROCK...:clap:
-Bill

:) well im goin get an explorer anyways heavy or not..ever since i was a kid
i always wanted to be a treasure hunter..even if i have too strap the thing too
my hip..:detecting:

I am 64 and use a Swingy Thingy type support device. The detector is balanced to the point that it is very easy to use the machine all day, for me anyway, with no problems. All of the top brands with the more desirable features are a little heavy if they have a display, tone ID, and the like. I have tried the Switngy Thingy on many of these detectors and they can all be balanced to the point that they swing very easy putting the weight on the users shoulders and back. With that in mind the weight is really not noticeable at all in my opinion.

One reason why I seem to always have an Explorer in hand is discrimination at depth and the number of notches for discrimination. We can select from 1024 notches in any combination. I think the next best machine has 191 notches. This plus the two axis display, only one on the market, for ferrous and conductive content of metal is a very real technology advantage compared to going by the conductivity of the target as all other hobby detector do. This in my opinion is a tremendous advantage when we consider all the iron that we may need to hunt in. Also, the Explorer has almost no response to soil minerals due to the time domain method of rejecting soil minerals.

For the last three years I have been retired so after dropping off my daughter and grandson at school I go to the parks and hunt from 8:30 to 11:30 then go home for lunch then return to pick the kids up at 3:00 then its TV time and supper and more TV what a life. On Saturdays I hunt 5 to 6 hours with my two partners who still work during the week. The first couple of months the weight was a issue but after using it daily and learning that by dragging it on the ground it detectors deeper and more accurate. I believe dragging it slows you down and its easier on the arm. At 280 pounds and 6 foot tall my problem is standing back up after digging a target, so as long as I am finding good targets 90% of the time I have no complaints.

I no longer have either coil but have used them many times, I use the heavier Minelab 7.5 as long as the coins are under 7" any deeper and it's not that accurate, if I start getting iffy hits deeper then I go to the 10.5 coil which I have seen lock on and accurate down to 11" that becomes to wide of a hole for most places. A had a man who was not a hunter call me last Christmas about buying an Explorer for his wife who was using a White's 6000 and wanted to get her a newer model and I told him it might be to heavy with the 10.5" coil, but he still went ahead and order it from "K" and his wife was not happy with the weight, so now the man is now force to hunt with the Explorer and his wife now swings a MXT. How sweet can that be.

I ordered Doc's "swingy thingy", the bungee type harness, the same day I bought my Exp II. Works great and definitely takes the weight off. However, after using the machine for a couple of months, the only place I use it is at the beach.

The Exp II does not like any "air" between the coil and the ground so you really need to scrub the ground with the coil. I find it harder to use at the beach because of the wet sand and the unevenness of the dry sand (when I work that area). That's one of the reasons why I use the bungee. But the main reason is to make sure I don't accidentally drop it when I'm in the shallow surf :) I find that on grass, the coil just glides over it so the weight doesn't bother me at all.

I don't think the weight of the machine is the main concern though. The Exp II has a steep learning curve. It can be quite frustrating in the beginning but with some patience and practice, you'll soon come to interpret all the sounds / information. It is an awesome machine and I absolutely love it. It is a deep hunter and very sensitive to small objects. especially at the beach. I've dug some coins at the beach at ridiculous depths :) It's never failed to find something even after an area has been hunted to death.

As an "accessory" (albeit an expensive one) I would highly recommend the X-1 probe.