Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Depth is relative

christian_99

In each area of the US and world, soil conditions are different. Some people have tremendous amount of depth with the Explorer in area's with less mineralization. If you were to go to certain areas of North Georgia, and along the Valleys of the North East, your depth would be greatly reduced by mineralization. In some areas- the soil color is orange from the small bits of magnetite present. So some areas will yield incredible depths, while other area's might only yield a few inches of depth. It is all relative. Finally, with depth the automatic ground balance feature is a wonderful thing to have, however what if the machine is over compensating for ground conditions? Will you hear a decent signal or will it bleed through as an iron sound? For anyone willing to try an experiment, go to a mineralized area- with your machine- do the auto ground balance and scan the area area to see how well you do. Then if you have another machine with a manual ground balance, go through the SAME area and see what your auto ground balance machine may not have picked up. You might be amazed and shocked at how much you left behind or how many signals were mis-identified by the automatic ground balance machine vice that of the manual ground balance machine. One may have to decrease their sensitivity and adjust their machines accordingly in order to "read" the same ground, or in hindsight- auto ground balance, every few feet to adjust for extreme ground changes. This post is intended not intended to offend anyone but to read the ground conditions that one is searching on. For those individuals without ground mineralization the combination of the Explorer in those areas is truly phenomenal! However, for those of us who live in mineralized areas- it is still an good machine!

there are plenty of Explorer users that do well in mineralized ground, say in Alabama and TN. Maybe not everywhere but there are testimonies that the Exp. is a top performer in the South,West,North and East. Mineralization is no respecter of detectors in that it will limit the depth on them all. Another thing about manual ground balance is that it may be balanced at one point and only a few yards away be way off.

I might add in some areas old coins just sink deeper, heck in some areas a 5-6 inch coin might be a deepie while in my neck of the woods 8-10 inch coins are common and now and then pick one up around a foot.
Indeed depth is relative, but throw in target masking and high mineralization and we can see why coins are found at varied depths...
Whoops( lets not forget the nut behind the wheel also..myself included)

One thing that I learned actually on a manual ground balance machine which has helped me with the Explorer is to re-balance, literally every few feet. I was using another brand of detector and went to an old site that I had literally "pounded" with the Explorer. Occasionally, I would pick up a round ball, a brass button of no descript, and this continued on for a period of three years. I would hunt with all sizes of coils the 5", 8", 10" and the 14" coil, as the relics in this area were prized. However, the camp had been pounded for years. So my settings would be iron mask -16, sounds ferrous, gain at between 6 to 10, and I would hunt with Sens at either manual 20 if the mineralization didn't start causing the machine to go unstable, or less in auto. My finds from the site were a handful of round balls, and a few non descript buttons. I then purchased a manual ground balance machine as a back up and decided to bring it out to the same area I had "pounded" for so many years. In less then 2 hours, I found a button "cuff" and a large Zouave button. I had to leave but came back to the same spot I had focused on with the explorer, and found an seated half dollar, and a button back.

This was accomplished in two months as compared to two years. When I went to the same exact spot, I realized why the Explorer had not picked up on the easy signals. The ground was horrendously mineralized. Every few feet I checked by ground balance and it was off. Literally two steps forward, and I had to re-balance due to conditions. Once I made it a practice, finds started popping out of the ground left and right! Now, in hindsight in taking the Explorer out to the same area, and re-ground balancing, finds are starting to be revealed. Just some thoughts...check your auto ground balance every few feet if the area is old, has lots of iron, and has mineralization.

I think there may be some confusion on the term ground balance as applied to the Exp. What little I know of the technical side of the Explorer is that is has no ground balance per se. It has noise control in the form of different channels that can be accessed either manually or automatically. The noise button will do this automatically but you may have hit on something that the rest of us can experiment with and that is change the noise channel and see if will help increase depth. The noise channels will pick different frequencies to be used in transmit.
One thing that I would disagree with your settings is the use of auto sensitivity, for the ground I hunt in the manual gives more depth, no questions about it, though that may not be the case for everyone else. My suggestion it to put it manual and crank up the sensitivity until it becomes unstable and then back down a number or two. I generally have mine at 27 and it runs smooth, except where there are close by power lines,etc. Maybe you have not been running your sensitivity high enough to get those extra targets, some guys run their Explorer unstable with high sensitivity to get those extra targets. I understand that other brand detectors will do a good job and for many will find the goodies, I guess it all boils down to use what works best for you and what will fit your needs but the Explorer has a lot of great features and has the power to find stuff others leave in the ground and it has great coverage with the DD coils, which it was designed to use and perhaps does it better than most because it was made to be used with them. IMO the coverage is one of the most overlooked benefits of the Explorer series and the separation is great too. There are some users here in the south that have tried almost every detector brand and model and have decided that the Exp. is their choice to use. BTW, most of us have other brand detectors and will use them at the same site, so there is nothing wrong with the double check, ha, maybe triple check, I just have not found a unit yet that will replace the Explorer as my main unit and I have tried some of the ones that are known for "going deep". As for those easy signals, I have went back to sights and found stuff I thought I had already been over, the diff? Not sure, but I think that some days the moisture is more or less or the goody gods are with us, heat, or EMI's are less on a given day. You have to know what to listen for too with some of those low conductors with the Explorer or you may miss them, some are momentary broken signals but once you know what to listen for, it should help and yes with regular manual ground balancing units it is necessary to GB in regular intervals.

What you will do is perform the noise cancelling just prior to starting out on your hunt. Hold the coil to the ground, press the noise cancel and wait for the machine to calibrate and then start hunting. In some area's, you will need to do this many times to compensate for ground conditions. Keep in mind this is my honest opinion, however in my neck of the woods- the ground is very mineralized to say the least- so this is just a recommendation- slow sweeps, and re- ground balance every few yards- just to calibrate the machine to the soil and RF fields of that area.

I'm afraid you may confuse some newer users of the Explorer by using the term "ground balancing" for what is really "noise cancelling" . One of the nice aspects of the Explorer is that it CAN NOT be ground balanced- it constantly takes care of comparing metal object signals to the general ground conditions all by itself. While it is not "automatic ground balancing" and certainly not "preset ground balancing" as used in other detectors, it does the same job- but better. There is no control button on the Explorer for any sort of ground balancing. Steve explained this in his comment above on June 17; maybe I can make it even clearer. The button you are pushing while resting the coil on the ground scrolls through 11 different combinations of signals chosen from the 28(? I think this is the number from my feeble memory) different signals transmitted by the Explorer. I think I am correct when I say the Explorer does NOT use all 28 different signals at any given time; it uses a smaller selected group of them that still covers most of the spectrum. If you are hunting far from any sort of power lines or other electromagnetic sources, whichever group out of the 11 is chosen should make little or no difference in depth, ID, or how the detector works- each group ranges across the whole spectrum. If you pass over a patch of highly mineralized ground you will doubtless loose depth and may have ID problems, but it will affect each of the 11 frequency groups equally. Changing from one to another should not improve the performance of the detector, unless by chance one of the 11 signal groups just happens to have one of its signal frequencies that works particularly well on a very specific item that you have hit. However, the Explorer makes its identification decisions on how an object (and the surrounding soil matrix) react to a variety of different wavelelngth signals. Back to the "noise cancelling" button- most of us are not hunting in the wilderness, but are bombarded with all sorts of radio, TV, and other signals. How to check for outside "air" interference? Put sensitivity as high as it goes. If your detector is quiet and stable, you are in one of the rare spots that is interference free. This is OUTSIDE interference, in the air and possibly conducted thru the soil as well- rather like static on your radio or phone. Most likely, your Explorer will beep erratically and flash an erratic series of numbers on the screen even if you hold it way off the ground. Some of those stray electromagnetic signals are entering your coil at exactly the same "wavelength" as the signals being sent out by the detector and being returned when an underground coin is under the coil and is being detected, so the detector is fooled into thinking it has received a "good" signal- and it beeps and creates a digital number or cursor position. Now you can lower SENSITIVTY hoping these stray signals are weak, for that is what lowering sensitivity does- it cuts off the weak signals and ignores them. Obviously then it may cut off weak signals from a deep coin as well, so lowering sensitivty does cut depth. The other way to try and get rid of these unwanted signals from the air is to try out different combinations of signals (Minelab has 11) and find which one has by chance a grouping of signals that are NOT on the wavelengths being used by the static. Minelab is unique that it can do this- other detectors operate on one wavelength, and if static is bad on that wavelength all you can do is use another detector that is on a different wavelength. This whole process is rather like some modern detectors that have a switch that can shift their frequency just a fraction, so that you can detect (as in a competitive hunt) close to another guy with the same detector brand as you. He is making "static" with his machine, so you pick a frequency that is different from his and you no longer have a big problem. So Minelab lets you push the "noise reduction" button and you wait patiently while it switches from one "group" to another and listens for interference at each stop- and when it is over, it automatically picks the group that received the least interference/static. Then you start hunting. The mineralization in the ground has NOTHING to do with this. In fact, many Explorer users feel that you should keep the coil HIGH OFF the ground when doing noise reduction; you certainly couldn't do any ground balancing with the coil far away from the ground. I guess you could say the "noise cancel" is sort of an "air balance" as opposed to a "ground balance".

It is possible as you move away from power lines, or top a hill that you may suddenly receive a new or different batch of static/electromagnetic signals so it may then be a good idea to occasionally redo the noise canceling. Many Explorer users also feel that you should redo the noise cancelling if you change any internal settings (like sensitivity, fast, deep, ferrous/conductive etc). I suppose it is possible that changing these settings may affect the sensitivity/reaction of the detector more to some wavelengths of outside interference that others, so that a different group of the 11 may now give smoother operation. It can't hurt to do it again, plus it gives you an excuse to rest your arm for 30 seconds.

I hope this lengthy story makes things a bit clearer.

We certainly have some sharp guys on this forum and offer excellent info..Indeed the Explorer does go deep and certainly does vary due to settings and mineralization in your area. Last but not least they also grab nice coins deep or not in worked out areas which makes it a double threat..