Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Deep Target ~ Awesome Find

Jrjammer

Hello Everyone, Here is a interesting story. I`ve been a White`s detectorist since I was a young boy (13 or so). I am 50 now. One day in 1978 I went metal detecting with my older brother at an old wagon trail area that traveled pass a foundation to an old church that dates back to the late 1700`s to early 1800`s. The location: Southern Maryland. My brother was detecting with the top of the line Whites detector the Gold Master, a big semi-heavy blue box with plenty of knobs that do many things! As we are detecting the wagon trail area he gets a good solid signal (No VDI #) just a jumping meter! My brother decides to dig the target, at about 5 inches down he pulls out of the ground the most well preserved 1820 Large Copper Cent I had ever seen! And me as a young boy I was So thrilled!!
33 years later, I`m detecting with a White`s V3i at a Colonial Homestead Site, I`m running the Deep Silver preset program on the detector....I get a 82 VDI at about 8.5 to 9.0 inches down. I decide to switch to Coin & Jewelry program, I swing the coil over target area.....nothing!! I switch back to the Deep Silver program....I swing the coil over target area again.....82 VDI 9.0 inches down......I decide to dig...at about 9 inches just as my White`s detector detected....just sitting at the bottom of a 9 inch hole and just as silver as a Silver coin can be..... a Beautiful 1843 Half Dime!! Extra Fine Condition!! With full LIBERTY. At that very moment I thought about that summer day in 1978.... Whites detectors have come a long way! I Love the hobby....Keep detecting!! Leonard

[size=large]so you would say the c&j program cost you some depth?

HH[/size]

amazing story. nice find indeed. congrats on that half dime. hh:thumbup:

If I understand this correctly, the C&J factory program is all three frequencies, whereas the Deep Silver factory program is single frequency 2.5 KHZ. So, assuming all other settings to be identical (they're not, of course, but I'm gonna make that assumption anyway), then the Deep Silver should hit harder than the C&J because all the transmit energy is concentrated in the one frequency with the Deep Silver instead of being divided up amoung all three frequencies with C&J. At least, this is what the gurus from Whites have been telling us, and it certainly makes sense.

The C & J program on the V3i is awesome! I have found a many of old and great coins and even some really nice rings, But the one day I decide to run that deep silver program was because this area I detected on the C&J program have been hunted so many times over. Being a Colonial homestead site, there are some deep targets and small ones as well. Leonard

The deep silver program is really great on deep silver.......... in the right ground.......... it is a little too noisy for me in my ground so I use the Hi-Pro program with great results.

Congratulations on the Half Dime.........:clapping:

Join us on the V3/V3i/VX3 forum if you have not found it yet http://www.findmall.com/list.php?66

The one thing with this machine is there is no hard and fast "right" and you can have ANY program have characteristics of a completely different program to suit your needs. Single frequency is very nice in some situations but.....it is far from a "magic pill" (in a lot of places I hunt) because of to much diversity and density in trash and target responses. (My old logged off and bladed townsites don't cooperate very well.)

C/J (Best Data 3 frequency) rules.... with heavy audio restrictions. Runs deep and I "see" all the iron. I do have to switch coils a lot but these places go from heavy trash to just a few targets/original soil in mere feet.

Very nice you found such a nice coin! An 1843 half dime is on heck of a find.....and in EF no less! Good job!

Hello Everyone, Did alittle metal detecting today (08/18/2011) at a local park here in good olde Southern Maryland. I detected for about 3 hours and I found: 1912 S Barber Dime, 1927 Buffalo Nickel, a Catholic Pendent, 1939 Wheat Cent, 1908 Indian Head Cent, and a Gold Navy Button from New York, N.Y.(Button got some weight to it!) Awesome Day!! Leonard

great find congrats

Congrats on a very nice find and a great hunt!!! May try new GB whenever you try different program - GB in C&J would have been saved from last time that program was used - GB point doesn't carry over from one program to another. Good idea to compare programs - gl and hh!!