Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Jbird

I always get a kick out of people who claim to know exactly what they will do when facing any situation. I look back at decisions I have made and it is a grab bag of good and bad. The fact that I am still alive is more probably due to luck than to decisiveness and great decisions on my part.

About late 66 or early 67, I was sent to Cam Ranh Bay in Viet Nam as maintenance supervisor of a C-130 outfit. Cam Ranh was considered about the safest base in Viet Nam because it was on a finger of land, a pennisula, surrounded on three sides by water and well defended. Our C-l30 parking ramps were on the other side of the main base and airstrip. That part of the base still had a lot of small jungle growth and was guarded by ROK (South Koreans) marines. We were warned not to step off into the overgrown bushy areas near our ramp to do a winky-tinky because the ROK,s were known for shooting first and sorting out the results later.

My mind was so saturated with the maintenance problems we faced that I never considered the possibility of getting into any kind of ground combat situations. It just wasn't my kind of thang. Making airplanes fly was my thang. Untill the night I was rousted out of my bunk and told that I was needed on the flightline as we were having trouble getting airplanes to make their missions. I jumped in my truck and drove around the end of the runway toward my area. Imagine my shock when I saw some air policeman manning a 20mm gun there at the end of the runway and ripping off some shots along the sea shore. I stopped and was told that some VC had tried to breach the barbwire barriers along the shore. They pointed out the vauge moonlit scene of a small boat and what looked like 3 bodies about 150 yards up the shore. I asked if that was all of them and they said they didn't know.

The Air Police gunners made radio contact with someone and said it sounded like it would be OK for me to proceed on down the road. They cautioned me strongly about being careful of the ROK marines. I still had over a mile of road to traverse yet, all of it thru jungle growth type small trees and bushes. I didn't make it very far before all hell broke loose in front of me and behind me, rifle fire and some muzzle flashes. I stopped, thinking damn, damn, damn, decision, decision, decision! What the hell do I do now? The only thing I could think of was making sure the ROK marines knew who I was and that I was one really freindly dude. For some reason, any danger from infiltrating VC didnt cross my mind. I set my emergency brake, got out and went to stand in front of my pickup truck....right there in the bright headlights. I immediately began to doubt that decision as the firing in the road about 50 yards in front of me increased in intensitiy while all I could do was just stand there and vibrate. I kind of was wishing I had a rifle but then was wondering what the heck I would be shooting at if I had one. The only real good target I knew of in that area was me. Then the firing stopped, followed by a few minutes of the Koreans shouting back and forth.

I heard running footsteps coming up behind my truck, looked back that way, and watched an air policeman with a guard dog run up and stop beside me. He was out of breath and breathing hard so we both just stood there and listened to the ROK's yelling back and forth some more. Finally, I said, "I guess you think Im stupid standing here in front of these headlights?" He just grinned and said, "Ahhh, you are doing allright."

The Air Policeman's radio mumbled something. He said he needed to take his dog up ahead to do some searching. I asked him if I should leave my lights on. He said ahhh what the hell and took off. After about 15 minutes, the Air Policeman with his guard dog and a ROK lieutenant came walking back down the road and told me it was OK to go on my way. I watched the ROK,s dragging two bodies out of the bushes as I eased on up the road.

So if you think you are the decisive type, in full control of everything that happens in your life, maybe you can advise me. Did I make the right decision? What would you have done? I sometimes ask myself if I would do different if I faced the same situation again. My answer is I dont know. I guess Im just not the decisive type.:)

i'm not sure but i suspect i would have been digging a hole under a bush! It is real refreshing to hear stories like this from the real world! Thanks much:thumbup:

I first read it and knew you were in Nam but then you started talking about ROK Marines. For some reason I thought you said the South Vietnamese were guarding the place. I thought you had driven farther than you thought!!

I reread it and see I had read it wrong!! :D

I will tell you that I would have been scared to death, not to mention the condition of my drawers!!

Thanks for an interesting post, as always!!:thumbup:

n/t

....I dont remember being so scared as I was disgusted with having driven right into the middle of a gunfight and not knowing exactly what to do. I had lots of quick thoughts about what to do, none of them very good. I could have just sat there in the truck and got shot. That was one possibility. But then I thought, if I got out of the truck, at least I would have running room. That idea had some appeal to me for a moment. Then I thought that if I took off running in the bushes, I would probably get shot by "friendly" fire from the ROK marines or my throat cut by some VC. Thoroughly disgusted, I just said to hell with it and stepped out into my headlights and stood there with my hands in my pockets. Bad decisions?? Maybe so, but it wasnt my body they dragged out of the bushes.

n/t

guess you did the best you could,if they rousted you up from sleep that would mean you might not of woke up yet,can't say anybody else would have made a better decision.

Man, that musta made the pucker factor go up about six notches!

Don't think there is a right decision. The "luck of the draw" appears to have been the order of the day. Glad you made it !:clap:

a lot of instantaneous decisions, some came home, some did not! Definitely a sobering experience!

How old were you then?????

....in the prime of life.....mobile, hostile, and agile......could outrun a speeding freight train....170 lbs of tempered blue steel... could leap the tallest buildings....able to convert from outstanding bravery to abject cowardry at the pop of a gun....able to make decisions in a split second....some good, some bad:shrug: