Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Decision time for X-Tra coil..... assistance ?

MichaelB

I'm within a week (I believe) of ordering my new MXT, I'm happy to say, and I'm going to be faced with a decision when it gets here... It seems that it will come with a coupon to White's for $150 - along with a good selection of items to choose from when using it - including additional search coils.

Since I haven't metal-detected in many, many years, I'm pretty unfamiliar with all of the newer developments and could use some advice here. There are 3 coils for me to choose from:
Double D Loop (179.00)
5.3 Eclipse (149.95)
and the Eclipse 4 x 6 Shooter DD (149.95)

The area that I'll be in is pretty much virgin woodlands with old foundations and home sites - all in the mountainous region of western North Carolina (Transylvania County). I'd think that I'd be interested in digging up just about everything I can detect (hehe), and while I wouldn't be upset to find some gold jewelry or coins, I wouldn't say that I'm "specifically" looking for just that. If I'm not mistaken, I'm fairly sure that I read that this area is apt to have some seriously mineralized ground - but lack of experience keeps me from stating that as a fact; consequently, I'm at a loss as to how best to use this $150 worth of free goodies.

Suggestions ?

Thanks everyone !

Michael

Hi Michael, I have an MXT and love it. When I first got it it came with the standard 950 coil, which is a good coil but I wanted something that I could use for hunting in trashy areas like city parks so I got the 4x6 coil. It is a great coil and I would not go hunting without it. I also got the 6x10 which is also a great coil for trashy areas, and you can cover more ground with it than the 4x6. Just recently I purchased the 5x7 excellerator coil. It has a slighly bigger footprint than the 4x6. So far it has proved itself in some really trashy areas. I really have not had it long enough to give my overall opinion of it. Well that is what I have in my arsenal. I would recommend that you get the 4x6 coil first, you won't be disappointed. HH Dennis in Idaho

Hey Michael, I agree with Dennis. I would definitely make my first extra coil the 4 X 6. I have the small DD Excelerator and it is fantastic. I would say the two coils are pretty close in comparison. You will most definitely see a big difference in trashy areas.

Six to one, a half dozen to the other, they both are great coils, the new excellerator II 4.5 x 7 is the lastest version. I i'd a 1-10 at 7" the other day and about 7 inches "really" in hard ground I got a clad dime, then dug a 34 tab that turned out to be a nickle and dime stuck together.

Sounds like you'll be doing the same type hunting as me, so I can say the 4x6 DD is the way to go for your first extra coil. It's great for bushwhacking, probing around foundation stones, and seeing through the iron trash that is almost always around old homesites. If your soil is mineralized, it will handle it too. The 6x10 will be my next purchase to replace the stock coil.

Good Huntin
Kevin

This way you will have a coil to get into those tight spots and those that are very trashy. My second choice is the 5X9 DD coil which we have on our MXT 90% of the time for reg hunting. Being you have the stock coil it will work in most area you want to work and have the 4X6 shooter for you tough spots.
Good luck with your MXT when you get it as it is one of the best detectors out there and easy to use.

Rick

Well.... that was easy...lol.

Thanks for the input everybody - I really appreciate your taking the time to lend a hand !

Michael