Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dealing with diamonds.

digger880

My excal2 has provided me with a few diamond rings that I'd like to send to the refinery. My problem is, what do I do with the diamonds? I'm sure the refinery could find a use for them but I'd really like to keep them. Is there some solvent that will enable me to loosen the stones so I can pry then out?
Thanks in advance,
Rod McDonald

Hi Rod, If those rings are in good shape they would be worth more sold in tack then you'll get for scrap. E-bay or maybe even a jeweler or consignment place. If not I understand ARA gold refinery will return your stones. Only what I'ver read.

No need to remove the stones, IF you use ARA. They return ALL stones back to you and frost the CZs, so you can tell which ones are good and bad. Of course, if you have any Moissanite, it will not be any different than a diamond, but there are testers that can differentiate between the 2. At ARA they chemically break down the gold and the stones are saved from destruction, as they would in a melting scenario.

I personally have a wholesale diamond buyer, who purchases stones from me, BUT you can probably find some jewelers around who would do the same. The thing is, is HARD to get an above board value on what you have, as there are so MANY variables with stones, i.e. size, clarity, shape, etc. Good luck working it out and let us know how you fare.

Jewlrey stores often get diamonds from wholesalers without having to buy them. They only pay for the stone if they sell it. That's why it's hard to sell a diamond to a jewler. Unless you are going to sell it to him for MUCH less than he could buy it from the wholesaler he won't want to tie his money up in something he might not sell for months. I think I heard ARA and/or Midwest will buy your stones? Either way, they at least will send them back to you and from what I hear they give the highest dollar for gold and silver. Local gold buys will give you about 40 to 50% of what those companies will pay. I think they pay 98% of the current market price for gold, which is pretty darn good IMHO.

I found a ring one time with a two carrat diamond. A friend of mine is a gold smith (fixes/makes jewlery for shops) and he was nice enough to shop the stone around for me. I ended up getting I think $3900 for the diamond, but the shop owner who bought it sold that stone for close to 10 grand from what I heard. It was a quality stone. I got $80 for the gold and this was about ten years or so ago, which means I probably would have got much more for that scrap these days.

By the way, I was metal detecting when I spied the ring by eye. It was on the side of a hill where the rain water had worn away about an inch or so of dirt. There were tons of round tabs laying around too so I'm sure I would have never dug that diamond ring had I not seen it by eye.