Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DEAD MAN'S HOLE.................

Kelley (Texas)

This is another interesting story that I have always enjoyed reading because many years ago we looked for this haunted hole, but did not find it. It is located about fifteen miles from Debbie's Aunt Lahoma's home. A cousin of mine had seen the hole, but would not take us to see it. He said that the hair stood up on the back of his head and the place reeked of death...it was best to avoid the area. Kelley (Texas) :)

Dead Man's Hole
by Mike Cox

In 1999, land owner Ona Lou Roper deeded Burnet County 6.5 acres around the hole for use as a park. A year earlier, a state historical market had been put up at the site.

The expression "he just dropped out of sight" had both figurative and literal meaning in Burnet County during and after the Civil War.

Common belief held that folks who disappeared in that area often ended up at the bottom of a 150-plus-deep foot limestone fissure south of Marble Falls aptly named "Dead Man's Hole." Local lore has it that the bodies of as many as 17 men were tossed down the hole. Some hapless souls may have been thrown in while they were still alive, but legend is silent on that point.

The first person of European descent to the see the hole up close had better luck than many subsequent visitors -- he lived to tell the tale. Ferdinand Lueders, a German naturalist, noted his discovery of the feature in 1821 while passing through the area looking for unusual inspects. Nearly a quarter of a century would go by before settlers began building cabins in the area and rediscovered the hole.

During the Civil War, Central Texas proved a dangerous place for those who didn't cotton to secession. Unionists, as they came to be called, found themselves on the open season list. Some of them, according to once-whispered stories, ended up at the bottom of Dead Man's Hole.

Despite the claim that the hole proved to be the final destination of as many as 17 men, local historians have come up with only five names, and two of those are speculative.

The best-known Dead Man's Hole disappearee is Benjamin McKeever. Described as a "dashing

"This investigator had no sophisticated ghost-detecting equipment"?? :D What the heck is that? Uri Geller or one of the Ghost Busters?

I can not explain that stuff but I sure have a tough time believing in Ghosts. That is like these guys looking for Big Foot in Michigan:blink:

I am pretty sure I saw something about that fool shooting at the dog and getting dun in by the blacks on TV a while back. That took some guts back then. With the law the way it was back then it is surprising that any were not hung!

The old lore of an area always seems to have some truth to it though but that sophisticated Ghost-hunting Equipment just sorta is beyond my belief limit :D

Can't say as I believe or disbelieve. Would have to see it for myself, I guess.

n/t

n/t

He said that he would never return to it because it was evil. He claimed to have heard some strange noises, like someone crying, coming from the hole and he felt as if someone was watching him. Whatever he heard that day, it scared him to the point that he would not even tell folks where it was located. I am not claiming that this is a true story, only repeating what I heard about that hole in the ground. Kelley (Texas) :)
[attachment 128257 Wolf.gif]

were I grew up there is a lake, Cass Lake. It is the largest in our county and we were always told about the underwater caverns and the giant turtles that lived in them. The cavern were suppose to connect the local lakes and we really believed it. Scary stuff for a young mind to dwell on on a summers night.

I started diving and when it finally came to diving Cass lake and even though I was an adult and I knew that the story's were just myths, they lurked in the back of my mind while on many solo dives.

The bottom is mud. No caves and although I have only been to about 55 ft in that lake as the visibility is gone any deeper, I mean ZERO, I find it silly to think there could be such caves, turtles or tunnels but the feelings still remain. Not true in life but they have life in my mind

While I may not completely believe the story, it will still be in the back of my mind. There is one area on Cibolo Creek where several children have drowned over the years. We were always told that an old man ghost that hated kids would grab a victim by their feet and pull them under the water. Needless to say, we avoided the area. Why tempt fate, right. Kelley (Texas) :)

Call me scaredy cat but I don't mess with stuff like that, I think some time you just leave it a lone. We leased a ranch south of S.A. the house was a big old stone house, the owners wife killed her self there, she blew her head off with a shot gun. A lot of freaky stuff happen there in that house. It was a spooky place to stay when by your self, the nearest place was about 3 miles up the road. When I was in High school I would go up there and stay the weekend by my self. It was like spook ville. I saw a many of people leave there in the middle of the night.

I hear tell that this creek is haunted, that a woman was killed by indians on the banks of that creek. I may ride the bike over in that direction this afternoon and do some exploring of the area. I think this creek originates near the golf course on Randolph AFB in Universal City and goes all the way to St. Hedwig, Texas. I have a cousin that use to fish on the creek near the golf course, but would never fish near where it crosses under IH 10 because he was told that it was haunted, evil. I can not find one person who has ever or will ever fish in that certain stretch of the creek. It has been told that on certain nights, if the conditions are right, that you can hear the shrill screaming of some unkown woman. Kelley (Texas) :)

many folks are frightened by them. I am not one of them, just do not believe but enjoy hearing or reading about them:)

However, I tend to sorta give the story the benefit of the doubt just in case there is some truth to it...why risk it. If I hear that a certain place is haunted, I will stay clear of it or go with a group of folks with me staying towards the rear of the group, closest to the door. I am 99% certain that there is no such thing as a ghost, but there is that 1% that tells me to play it safe too! I must admit that in the past I have seen or sensed that something was not normal, but I have no explanation as to what it was or why. I have never found out how flowers appeared on a grave many miles back on a ranch, or never found out about a dead space with no vegetation on a ranch...no birds, no grass, no trees, and animals will not enter the dead area. I can not explain the cold feeling on a hill side on a ranch that ended when I discovered a grave and fenced it off...no more cold feeling on a hot day. These are things that are not natural or normal, things that I will never be able to explain. These are things that I hesitate to disclose because folks will think that I am just telling them a Texas tale. Kelley (Texas) :)

unexplained stories in these parts that if nothing else raise questions. Like you, that 1 percent that it may be true, keeps me cautious
when checking out areas like that. Geo-CT