Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dead Battery Pack, or whacked-out Excalibur??

china-clipper

OK, here goes....I charge my Ni Cad pack overnight on my Excal 1000 and when I turn the unit on and stand still w/out moving the detector, I get all sorts of falsing. I get high/low sounds and then the iron "null" kicks in, etc. I have it set on the same settings I've always used, removed the coil cover, moved away from ANY electrical interference, and am not over any metal. My question is...what are symptoms of a low charged battery? Is it what I'm describing, or different? My Excal is only a year old and has only seen water about 7 times; I baby it and clean it after every hunt. Does the wrapping of the coil water manifest itself with these symptoms? I'd hate to ship it in for service only to find out it is something simple. ANY help, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Rick.

Hmmm, sounds like the charging time was adequate. What is the Sensitivity set on, 11-12? If so, OK. I like 11. A low battery will start to give you a death squeal. It will just all of a sudden make a loud noise, like WOOOOOOOOOW! Are you hunting in current or deep water at all china? If so try this, unorthodox as it may sound. Turn Threshold to barely audible and then down to NOT AUDIBLE. If the threshold breaks over the silence, then you may still be set too high. If you go over a non-ferrous target, I assure you that the unit will let you know. Try this and if no improvement is seen, then it's time to go back to Vegas and let them figure it out. Good luck and keep us posted on the resolution. That's what warranty is for and mine has been back twice. Have had mine since Jan. '06 and they resolve my issues every time. All submersible detectors break and I have broken every brand I have ever used. If they are actually used, they break, so don't lose heart here, it's going to happen. Are you hip mounted or stem mounted? GH

Your Batt Pak with a Voltmeter fully charged it should be a little over 14v if its under 12 there will be issues, check taht first and like GH says use your warrentee... Geo

There is a small section of Rocky Neck that we cannot even go near because our Excals go crazy with falsing even in the water too. Apparently they put in some kind of RF security system (maybe in that big building on the hill).
Check the rubber gasket under the plug for the battery and see if there is any moisture under there.......that can cause some falsing too.

n/t

I may have figured out my problem; the on/off threshold rotary switch goes right past "off" and back to "on" again. It rotates 360 degrees and makes all sorts of funny sounds when passing the off position. I guess it needs to be professionally looked at. What is the best service center here in the U.S. to send it to?
Thanks, Rick

Take it to your local TV repair shop. They should be able to replace that pot for you. (Unless its under warranty.)