Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Daughters Soccer Game

MDMac

Today, my 12 year old daughter had a soccer game at an Elementary School I had not detected yet. Then again, I have only gone detecting about half a dozen times with my Tracker IV. Found $3.22 in clad, about typical for a couple of hours at an elementary school. But I also found a nice looking gold necklace. It has the design of alternating one larger link, then 3 smaller links, one larger link, 3 smaller links, etc... The clasp has Italy 925 stamped on it. My understanding is that 925 is Sterling Silver, and this must be a gold plate. I am sure it is a recent loss at the school as it was right below the surface of the wood chips. Am I correct in the 925 being Sterling Silver? Could the clasp alone be SS and the rest be gold? Any ideas?

hi mdmac, i've had trouble in the past with italian marked jewelry. for example, i found a long necklace 2 years ago marked "14k,italy" but it didn't look quite right. i was happy thinking i found a 14k necklace, as anyone would be. after i cleaned it up, i took it to a jeweler i know and he immediatley started laughing. flea market stuff, he told me. he pointed out the reddish color that brass gets after being in the ground a while, like a nickel. so it was only gold plated. a cheap knockoff! i would recommend taking it to a jeweler to find out for sure. italy is known the world over for making great jewelry, but i can see someone is capitalizing on their reputation! probably the chinese. good luck, and hh,