Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

d2 coil on mx5,anyone use this setup?

petew

I ordered a new mx5 and am waiting for it.I've never owned a whites, the mx5 seemed simple and packed full of features.I like dd coils,I live in Pennsylvania and they seem to work great here.I was wondering if anyone used the d2 and what results it had on the mx5?

I have a D2 for my DFX and it is like brick on the end of a stick.. Look into the SEF coils, wish I had one of those rather than the D2. Everyone love the 10x12 and the next one down.. I have swung the 10x12 on another guys DFX and it is very well balanced.

and didn't care for the weight, balance and overall performance. But to be honest, I have had many 10" D2 coils that either had failures and were replaced, or whether working to not, just didn't provide the performance I wanted.

I have used DD coils since 1971, on some makes and models, and when they were the right size and performed well. Overall, I have generally preferred to use a proper size Concentric coil for a lot of my hunting needs and site choices. With the MX5, which is a model I like only 2nd in the White's line-up to the MXT Pro/All-Pro, I prefer the stock 9" spider coil for low-target open-sites, and the 6" Concentric [size=small](the 5.3 Eclipse)[/size] for most day-to-day Coin and Relic Hunting.

petew said:
I ordered a new mx5 and am waiting for it. I've never owned a whites, the mx5 seemed simple and packed full of features.
I think you will enjoy the MX5. I find it to be a very good urban Coin Hunting detector, and that's what it was really designed for.

petew said:
I like dd coils,
Why?

Which make & model detectors have you used, how long have you been detecting, what types of sites do you hunt, and have you used Concentric coils as well as Double-D coils, side-by-side?

petew said:
I live in Pennsylvania and they seem to work great here.
Why do you think a DD coil works great there? I am asking only because I am curious about a generalized statement like that and wonder in what way/ways do you think DD coils "work great" for you?

petew said:
I was wondering if anyone used the d2 and what results it had on the mx5?
Yep, and didn't care for the mode inconsistent Target ID numeric read-out compared with the stock coil, or the problems in more iron trash infested sites. Balance wasn't comfortable, either, at least for me and my aching body. Just some of my opinions and reasons why I didn't like that coil, especially on the MX5.

Monte

I like the dd coil because of the straight line it cuts through the ground,vs the cone shape of the other.I feel I can cover more ground.
And my ground is high minerals, and dd coils seem better to me.
I have owned a eTrac,se pro,f75ltd, at pro And xterra 705. All had dd coils,and performance was great.So I am us to that coil.I've been detecting on and off for 10 years.I feel depth and coverage is better with a dd coil.
I hunt coins and jewelry, on old homesteads and churches,parks.

And as far as depth,I'm happy with a detector that gets 6 to 7 inches, I'm nit looking for 10 inch holes,it's too much.so if the mx5 will do that with good id I'm happy. And I go a lot at night,so the backlight is a huge plus.

The separation in mild trash is where the love is.. In an open field with lumps and stubs and low trash a flat bottom round coil rules.. fewer snags easier to poke and pull between stubs.. I am with you on the DD but not the D2.. go for the aftermarket SEF

Yeah,I will go with the sef, I don't want a heavy coil. Thanks for the advice.does the mx5 stock coil get 6 to 7 inches in depth?

In my mild Kansas soil the little 6½" 5.3 Eclipse coil on my MX5 goes deeper than 6 or 7 inches on dimes.

petew said:
Yeah,I will go with the sef, I don't want a heavy coil. Thanks for the advice.does the mx5 stock coil get 6 to 7 inches in depth?

Yes it had better, my coinmaster GT will pick up a quarter at a foot in the air.. can't say I have dug any that deep but I don't hunt places where I would find a single target that deep... to much trash!
Oh wait, did dig a quarter sized wire crimp thingy at about a foot in wet ground..

I tried the D2 coil on my MXT for a day after borrowing it from a friend. I was actually going to buy it from him until I used it. It wore me out from the weight. I really like the 10X12 SEF and it is lighter and better balanced. It is my go to coil on the MXT. I use my smaller coils on the M6 for coinshooting in trashy parks or schools. The 6X8 SEF is another good coil but I like the 5.3 better if there are lots of rusty bottlecaps around. Just my 2 zincolns.

Stock coil is best for me on my MX5 when looking for deep targets and small gold. The 9" coil will hit a dime easy at 8 inches in the slightly minerialized soil around Charleston SC. In trashy areas I break out the Shooter dd coil or the SEF WSS 5x10 coil. Both are almost as deep as the stock coil, the Shooter does not go quite as deep but will still hit a dime at 8 inches. Only thing I have noticed is small gold, like 1 to 2 grams will chirp and crackle a little and seems to drop down to only 5 to 6 inches in an air test with both the dd coils. The stock 9" coil has solid sound and target ID at least to 8 or 9 inches on a 1.5 gram small gold ring. Larger gold rings, say 3 grams and larger are no problem for either Shooter or the SEF WSS coil. My wedding band is about 9 grams of 14k and stock coil get s it at over 12 inches. Target ID does seem more acquirate with the stock coil. The SEF WSS can some times be off a couple of numbers. I've had Zincolns that have been in the ground for a while read in the 70s like a dime in some soils. The more you use the MX5 the more you will enjoy it. Love the suspend mode and the back light.
HH
Matt

Just got word whites is shipping it today,John at jmt detectors is great to deal with.I may just get the shooter coil,I dont want a bunch of coils

10" D2 is heavy on mx5 I use and like 6x10 DD on beach in Fl. It runs quiet in wet sand in beach mode with sen. at 10 bars.Its a great combo tincan