Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ20 After market coils?

SloDave

I am just wondering if there are any larger coils made for the CZ20?

I currently have a 8in coil and wish i had the 10in. But would love to get one larger like 12in. I am just wondering if this is possiable?

Maybe answering my own question here.. But i have read other places that the coils can not be changed.. (factory installed etc)

So.. Anyone know if i could get a larger coil ? or am i out of luck?

The 10.5 inch Fisher coil has a lot of drag in the waves. My preference is the 8 inch coil unless you hunt fairly calm conditions like bays and fresh water lakes.

The only after market coil that I know of that could possibly be wired in is a Sun Ray FZ-12. It is no longer made and used ones do not come up for sale often. It is a very low profile and has drag in the waves of about the same, maybe a little less, than the 8 inch Fisher coil.

Basically has to be factory installed to maintain its no leak integrity and the stock 10.5 would provide more coverage and a little more depth but as Tvr alluded to always a tradeoff and indeed its
harder to handle in the water and is noisier in salt water due to its size...as far as the FZ-12 goes no way Fisher is going to install an after market coil even if you could find one.

So... The best advice is to stick with what i have. Right?

Kinda figured this was the case considering i couldn't really find any info online about different coils.
But it doesn't hurt to ask..

Thanks for the help

Dave

In my opinion the 8 inch coil is a very good choice in the surf with a CZ20.

Sometimes I think about modifying a CZ20 to put a Sunray FZ12 on it. But when I think about how long it took to find a FZ12 for my CZ6a and that wiring it to my CZ20 would remove factory support from the repair options if I needed repairs, then I think how I really like the 8 inch coil; it performs very well and is a great overall option in many conditions.

The 8 inch is staying on my CZ20 ... if that helps with your thoughts.
Cheers,
tvr

The 8 inch coil on a CZ for beach hunting is outstanding. One may lose a little depth and coverage, but the sensitivity to smaller targets, I think, is a little better, and I can stick the small coil into the hole much easier. I have a CZ20 with the 10.5 coil as well as 2 CZ6a's with all 4 coils ( 5, 8, 10.5 and FZ12). I find myself using the 8 inch coil on the CZ6a more than any other CZ set up.

SloDave...you have a good set up. Just get out there and use it and don't worry about bigger coils.

JC

Thanks guys for the info.. Was starting to fall for that mind trap where you think that because its different it might be better.

In the long run i have to agree with you therover.. Just have to get out there and swing the coil. :)

Thanks