Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CZ-5. Great workhorse detector and a rose by any name.

Bob Stephens

:clapping:Hi Gang! Finally took the plunge and logged onto the Finds Treasure Forum group. My wife Louise and I have been ardent CZ-5 users for years. These machines, in our opinion, are one of Fisher's best series as they have not only terrific depth capabilites but they're also easy to setup and use.

This past weekend, I dug a number of older coins from the '40's and the '60's that came out of a heavily hunted local park. There is little, if any surface material but I was getting a number of faint, high tone signals on the CZ-5 that required a little elbow grease to investigate as they were anywhere from 5" to 8" down in fairly dry and dense soil.

My best find was a 1948 British Penny followed by two US Wheaties from 1944 and 1947 respectively. I also found a number of nice Canadian nickels from 1960, 1963 and 1968 plus some Canadian Pennys from 1961 and 1964. One hole that yielded up a '68 Canadian dime and the '68 nickel also yielded a very corroded and coated Canadian nickel that will be a challenge to try and clean up.

I didn't research this location but rather happened on it and when the pattern of few but deep targets became apparent, I adjusted my hunting style by slowing down, ramping up the SENS to maximum and turning off the DISC completely.

It paid off and reinforces my conviction that when I go into any park for a hunt, it's a wise idea to let conditions dictate how you hunt. If there is a lot of shallow clad, hunt quickly and maximize your recoveries or if the targets are sparse like they were today, slow right down and listen for the deep signals and dig them all. You will recover junk but you'll also find some keepers.

I usually always hunt with the 5" hockey puck coil that still provides decent depth for a narrow diameter loop and gives me good target separation. The only thing that is tricky is the CZ's love of sounding off with high tones on small bits of iron but I find the detector usually only sounds off one way and even when I rotate my stance and recheck the signal, it's still usually a one way blip. If it gives the low iron tone "blat" followed by the high pitch boink, the target will likely be iron.

Love the CZ's!:lol:

Best Regards and Happy Hunting to all

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ont.

:detecting:Hi Bill! One thing we've always liked about Fisher products is their solid feel that comes with a well built detector and a certain degree of engineering finesse. It seems that dollar for dollar, Fishers do go a bit deeper than some of their competition and that's not knocking the competition at all. Some of their machines are great values and do excellent work but the Fishers have always had that little extra "oomph".

I'm tinkering with the idea of getting a good relic machine as a stablemate to our CZ's knowing how good the Fisher line is, the front runner is the Fisher ID Edge or possibly a Coinstrike. In spite of all the fluff about FTI taking over Fisher, I personally don't see any real cause for concern.

If anything, I see a great line of products continuing in the Fisher tradition and it will be interesting to see what new models come out in the future. :fisher:

Best Regards and Happy Hunting.

Bob and Louise. Hamilton, Ont.

I have been using one for a year and a half and have done better then some people using higher end machines. Once you know the machine you can really do well! HH:cheers:

[attachment 31545 coin3.jpg]I have been a true Garrett Patriot until my recent Ebay purchase of a Fisher CZ5. I read the reviews and it seems no one was willing to completely part with their CZ5. So I decided to purchase one at a discounted price on line. What a thrill it has been I love my CZ5. Here is about 1/3 of my finds in the last 3 weeks. I've recovered everything from a 1777 Colonial Copper to Civil war, Spanish War, and a number of those tough to discriminate rings. And the CZ5 is as good on Relics as it is on the coins. Happy Hunting all. Jerry