Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CW Canister Shell Reconstructed-Seen One?

VOL1266X

Recently, Dman and I have dug numerous pieces of lead from canister shells near a US CW Artillery Site. We have both dug a half pint jar full of lead chunks each in the last year. Before Dman started relic hunting, I had found the base of a canister shell and several pieces of the lead chunks. I decided to make a display of the 3 inch lead sabot base and the chunks that I had recovered. My wife (a big CW buff0 spent a considerable amount of time trying to match the chunks to the deep impression in the base caused by the intense powder charge pushing the can out of the cannon barrel. She was having so much fun, I did not have the heart to tell her that the chunks I had dug were scattered over a half mile area and obviously came from several different shells fired to test the cannons. Notice the 3 inch circular lead sabot base with part of the iron shell melted to the left side.Thanks for looking and Happy New Year.

Nemo tells me that these shells should technically be called case shot. Dman found the only piece of canister there which was a iron ball. Thanks Dave for the info. I have been calling it canister lead for years. In that site when you get a signal, you don't know whether it's a bullet, button, or case shot HH.

hi vol and dman, ya'll come up with some of the neatest digs sometimes! congrats to your wife, vol on a job well done. i'd like to take this opportunity to tell you and dman thanks for all the great posts, and a happy new year to all! hh!