Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CTX 3030 Coil cover

ettucat

Is there a cover for the detector coil? I have not found one. Is it a good idea to cover the coil with something? Thanks for any info you can provide. I am very new to this hobby so my question might make some of you laugh.

You should already have a cover on it, look close, BUT, the first thing I do with a new detector is get rid of the cover for the type of hunting I do. If you want to leave the cover on, be sure to take it off from time to time, clean and remove the debris, a dirty coil cover will affect performance and target ID.

Hello Neil, Thank you very much for such a quick answer. My brother and my granddaughter are in possession of my detector at the moment, and I can't get them on the phone to ask if there was a cover in the box. They are reading the manual and doing the things it says to do in order to learn the basics, anyway. They will then give me "lessons." I have forwarded your response to my question, so they know the pros/cons of a coil cover.

This sounds like a very fun hobby.......gets us out walking and talking together. Too cold out there right now, for me anyway, but I am so anxious to get into metal detecting.

Alice

It comes already on the coil and looks like part of the coil until you look real close. Without the cover on, the bottom of the coil will be grey.

I had no idea there was a coil cover on mine until it started to come off, I thought the detector coil was damaged and even sent it in to Minelab...man, did I feel stupid when they called me back to inform me that there was nothing wrong but the coil cover [skidplate] was simply coming off. Anyways, I remove it each and every time after a hunt to clean and or rinse it off along with the coil.

Thanks, Daytona...........I'm feeling better now. I really have to hit the manual and read the forums to get well acquainted with the terminology. Appreciate your response. Alice

ettucat said:
Thanks, Daytona...........I'm feeling better now. I really have to hit the manual and read the forums to get well acquainted with the terminology. Appreciate your response. Alice

Alice,

That manual will not help you one bit when it comes to mentioning that it already has one on it, I found out the hard way. There is a brief mention of it on the accessories list on page 59 of the manual. This is why these forums are an excellent source of valuable info. Good luck with that ctx, it won't let you down :)

Dmitriy07 said:
I put silicone to prevent dirt to come between col and cover. Go to this link lots of info.
http://metaldetectingworld.com/search_coil.shtml

The link is not valid but I figured out where it is, maybe FTF doesn't approve of your link.

Dmitriy07 said:
Cant post link, it is blocked

Ha ha, they got you again. Just google "Sealing Search Coil Cover", it should be the first link you see.

Thank you Daytona and Dmitriy.......this is such good help. I am sending all of this info to my brother because he is the one that is going to have to lead me through all the steps of before, during, and after. So much to learn, but that is what hobbies are all about, learning and having fun while doing it.