Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Crazy people detect through the ice!…….

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
Sometimes you just have to scratch the itch! This boy is one of them. Every year a friend and I get on the neoprene waders and heed for the river. First place we found was all froze up. Since it was 19 degrees that made sense and we here in MI are having a way colder than normal Feb. Keith and I found ourselves breaking out 3" thick ice that we could stand on. We would break off several pieces then float them downstream, some were as big as a car. We would then detect that cleared spot then do it all again. First target of the year was the silver ear ring in the pic. We found several items then tried another spot that had almost no ice but was a tad deeper and faster water. A couple days later I went to another stream that I hit once or twice a year that produces several coins and other stuff. In the pics you will notice 60 some coins, in there was a 44 wheat cent. There was also a model T spark plug and many other neat treasures. The best find was an old token
( Good for a pack of cigarettes ) This dates in the 30's - 50's. We had fun and will do it again. SAFETY NOTE!!! If you plan to try this in the frozen north, always have a friend with you, wear neoprene for warmth, don't go too deep or into fast water.
[attachment 308399 photo1copy2.JPG] [attachment 308400 DSC02867.JPG]
[attachment 308401 DSC02865.JPG] [attachment 308402 DSC02866.JPG]
[attachment 308403 photo-9.JPG]

u got to go :) Great effort and you surely were rewarded. The spark plug might be valuable to a car buff.

It was 80 here today, Steve in so la

Nice finds Mike. Really like the 'free pack of cigs coin'. Unfortunately the cold would do a number on me so winter hunting isn't something I can do. Sure admire those who can.

Yall are dedicated. If I had neoprene outfit I wo try that too. Never thought about that. Nice finds.

Outstanding effort Mike! :surprised:

Its good to see somebody other than the icefishermen and plowboys gets out in this kind of weather...absolutely brutal to even think about it and inspirational all at once! Its tough enough just to drive let alone hunt!

My young hunting partner up here in W. MI (Sturrat) has been doing the same thing over here on the West Side creeks with some decent silver coin success, like you, he's a bit crazy!...Ashamed to say I myself have not been out at all yet this year, sort of lost the spark for this kind of chilly duty! Oh I think about it, and try to make the effort, but then, after shoveling the driveway, just cant actually get up the gumption to do it! :rofl:

Well, Gold and silver wait for nobody, :clapping:...hope these sub Z's break soon, we have some catching up to do...lots of pent up swing time. Good on ya for giving it a go and congratulations on those finds! .:clapping:.
Mud

People never cease to amaze me in the things we do. Nice finds, and I bet that old spark plug was used to go fishing as a weight.