Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cousin Teddy and the Magic Rag - Part III

bdahunter

After the incident with the snapping turtle we decided to lay low at the farm for a few days until people cooled down a bit, SHEESH! WE hadn

i know the hurt feeling that will not go away. Had a couple of those times myself. Thank you Eric for a very well told story of your youth!
Wayne

And I especially liked the ending ! The wisdom of a grandfather versus the remorse of careless kids. He was ahead of his time......no two ways about it. And he knew you guys would've been dogmeat had he driven you home. Pretty cool gramps, to say the least !:yo:

If Gramp had taken Gordon and I home there wouldn't have been enough left of us to throw to the dog!:shocked: Gramp was a very kewl kat and had seen an awful lot in his 73 years on this earth. He had to quit school before he finished high school in order to help feed the family but he continued to read and educate himself until the day he died, mostly history books.
I think it was Napoleon who said "Those who fail to know history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past." I guess Gramp had read those words before.
Glad you enjoyed my tale.

Eric

Walk down the main drag to Happys sporting goods store, and buy us each a box of .22s. Then we all would walk out of town and go to the city dump and shoot rats. Man, when you think of that scenario today, you have to wonder just what sort of hullabaloo would ensue. there would be cops and all manner of problems..

It was a better time I think, back 'then'.

many thanks

mikie

not going to take you back! What a story! You have to tell more. This was really great, Eric, it's the kind of story where you feel like you are right there reliving all of this excitement.

Having two brothers (Arkie and Lil Brother), things like this happened a lot. But I cannot imagine letting my eight year old grandson go ANYWHERE with a .22 rifle! It's just unheard of these days, and I think that is so sad! All of us on the forum were all raised as you and in much the same way. Gramps probably knew what fate you were destined for, therefore changed his mind. And their is truly nothing like playing with your cousins and staying at your grandparents house. That's the way I try to do with my grandchildren. I want them to have a good time, learn a few things, but most of all MAKE SOME MEMORIES...and love to come to Nana's. Things that they will be telling 50 years from now. That's important to me!

Thanks for sharing this with us! :)

Your Gramp and mine seemed a lot alike. They could teach a lesson without even saying a word. Your story brought back many memories of my childhood. Thanks for sharing your story!

Dave

this was about 50 years ago and I remember exactly where I was standing when I did it and what tree they were in. What a moron I was.

That time at your grandpa's farm left an impression or you would not remember it so vividly. Thanks for sharing

Such a refreshing piece! Reminded me of some of the stuff I have read from writers such as Twain and Whitman.

I was there and I STILL seem to sense the mixed smell of gasoline, sweat and soot in the air.

Your grandfather was a special, wise man and a true blessing to you and your family. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story.

aj