Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Could this be a Dinosaur bone ?

Antique lover

I got four of these from a old guy that worked at a rock quarry years ago.He told me he never knew what they were from.They are very big as you can see in the picture. They look to be part of the spine (backbone) to me.Could they have any value ? Any info would be GREAT.

Wow... Take it to a museum and ask... Looks like spinal vertaebrae to me but it was big...... Whale etc...

My son, Jack, collects marine fossels and he and I have several whale vertebrae. It looks exactly like what we have. I'd say it is certainly from a whale.

http://www.naturepreserved.com/whale_vertebrae_catalog/bones_for_sale.htm.

Hey Antique lover, I believe NC Grampa is exactly right. I've collected quite a few marine fossils here in California at the beaches I surf at. I have several large fossils that are very similar to the piece you have. I'm pretty certain that they are fossilized whale bones. I don't know the value of them though. Yours is a nice one with a lot of detail. The ones I find tend to be smoother and rounded from getting tumbled and worn in the surf.
HH
Scott

Certainly look like fossils to me. Vertebrae as others have pointed out. Certainly old. A geological map of the area (state)where the quarry was will give you how old and maybe that the rocks are terrestrial or marine, which would mean dinosaur or marine critter like a whale or something you cannot land with 20lb test line.

Neet stuff

HH 1859

PS: I am a geologist and have seen plenty of dinosaur bones in Alberta, Canada. Check out the Tyrrell Museum.
http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/