Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CORTEZ

dlkamp

Anybody own a Cortez? If so, please give me your feedback on your machine's. (positive and negative).

I like the Cortes. Also have a Vaquero and they seem about the same for depth and sensitivity. I use the Cortes because the meter gives me a quick clue before I dig, even tho it doesn't know a gold ring from a pulltab or foil. When it tells me it's a tab or foil it is correct. But it could be a gold thing so I must dig it. The notch knocks out most tabs and screwcaps and still detects coins and ladies gold jewelry. Pinpointing is exact. Good depth. Sensitive to gold. I have a 3 x 18 inch coil on the Vaquero, that combo is great on the beach dry sand.

Jabbo, thanks for the valuable feedback. I have been contemplating on buying the Vaquero or going to the Cortez because of the ID capabilities. $250 is quite a bit of cash difference between the two if you can still get the same depth and sensitivity with the Vaquero. Thanks again and happy hunting.

I'm so tired of digging memorials and tabs!

I REALLY want a meter!!!!

But I know you just GOT to dig 'em all, or lose a major percentage of rings.

HH
rmptr

RMPTR, I here ya. It would be nice to invest in the Cortez and have the TID capabilites! Lots of cash, though....would probably take all the fun out of metal detecting, huh.....not! I am probably going to invest in the Vaquero and keep living with the tone ID. It is all about spending time and learning our machines and they will bring the best out of us! Take care and God bless!

I like the Cortes.I use the Cortes because the meter gives me a quick clue before I dig said:
Unfortunately, NO detector knows the difference between a ring and a pulltab. It can only tell you the conductivity of a target. SO there's your clue, folks:
Dont look to have the detector ID things reliably - it cant.
Rather expect it to give you the right conductivity - that is what it is designed for.

Then you only need to know what falls into what conductivty range.

With this line of thinking, you can turn your Vaquero into a "Conductivity Range" detector quite easily. Here's how.
Get a nickle, a square tab and a zinc cent. Lay them on the ground and scan them while thumbing the DISC control up the scale.
When each of these begins to break up, make a mark on the dial face that correspnds to the breakup. I use a dot of bright nail polish.
Now you have a simple, functional "Conductivity Range" detector.
With practice, you'll find this to be quite accurate.

DO you need the bells and whisltes of the Cortez? No. Theyre nice and have their place and dammit, I want one!
But you can use the V as I describe and get the same basic function.

I agree with Dahut, the bells and whistles don't help much at all, but i still like to glance at the meter. It correctly shows the target as foil, pulltab, screwcap, zincer, clad, nickel. The meter is right about those targets - but dammit, it could be a gold ring, so I dig. Also, everything sounds the same to me. At my age my hearing isn't what it was.