Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cortes, Deleon, ID Edge

markl59

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new detector. I was wondering if I could get your input about the three detectors, Cortes, Deleon, ID Edge. I have read a lot of the post here, my concerns are this and please correct me if I am wrong, the Cortes has a preset ground balance in Disc, a Manual GB in all metal. the Deleon has only Preset ground balance, but the electronics are the same internally ie. same depth. The Edge has an automatic ground balance ( adjust to your ground automatically). What my concern is the preset ground balance, what if it is too low or too high a preset for my ground, and how will it affect the detector if it is low or high. And also your opinions on any of the detectors would be appreciated. I respect the experience of the users in this Forum, they have helped me out before.

Thank You,

Mark

I can give you a bit of info on the DeLeon but cannot compare it to the other two,
I enjoy using this detector, I also have a Cibola, I find the Tesoros are good in general.
The Cibola has more depth, is a bit simpler to use, and only takes one 9v battery in comparison to the 8 AA's in the DeLeon. I like the extra info the DeLeon provides with the display. The DeLeon is a great coin machine.
The preset ground balance on the DeLeon has not been an issue where I live, I use the detector occasionally on a salt water beach.

The Cortes is priced higher but had a few more features than the DeLeon.

Hope this is a bit of a help,

I have a DeLeon which was set too negative in the all metal mode for my area. I sent it in to Tesoro for tweaking and it came back set pretty much the way I would set it if it were manual and it has been doing fine, since. For the most part I like the D, but if you're starting from scratch, I'd recommend that you go with a machine that has either manual gb or true auto ground tracking.
HH
BB

Thanks for the responses. I should have stated earlier, I am not new to metal detecting. I have Detected for over 30 years, I have owned from the beginning in the 70's a Bounty Hunter TR Detector, (2" to 4" Depth) then I purchased a Garrett Grand master hunter ( it eventually died on me) then I bought a Whites XLT, (I got rid of the whites XLT because the XLT just seemed like a pain to constantly have to adjust a program for each area I would hunt.) then I bought a Whites MXT, (The MXT was just too plain noisy for me, but I liked the numbers display). then I bought a Fisher CZ70 Pro. (The Fisher was a great detector, but did not have the numbers display). I learned from the MXT how important the numbers became when I could pick rings from pulltabs most of the time. Like I said "most of the time" the numbers allowed me to help seperate certain numbers from pulltabs to rings. I currently have a Garrett GTI 2500. ( I thought the new VDI would help like the numbers and I would be comfortable with it since I previously had owned a Garrett, it didn't). As you can see I have never owned a Tesoro, but some of my metal detecting buddies have, and always had good results. I like a Visual Display and I like the numbers display, , This is why I am looking at the Fisher Edge or the Tesoro Cortes or Deleon. I guess at this point I know what I am looking for in a Detector I am just trying to choose which one of the three mentioned, because the fixed ground balance concerns me on the Tesoros.

Thanks again Looking for all the input I can get.

I have had a DeLeon for over 4 years now, and have found it a very good machine. I have not had experience with the other two, but I'm sure they also are very good machines. Even though the De Leon has pre-set ground balance, I get very good depth and ID information from it. I detect in soils of varying mineralisation, but I cannot guarantee that your soils will give you the same success that I have had. Whichever machi9ne you choose, I wish you luck. Sapper.

Thanks for the tip Monte, but my understanding is the M6 runs at 14khz like the MXT and I believe this is what made the MXT so noisy. I think the higher frequency makes it more like a Gold detector (very sensitive). I may be wrong I am not an engineer, but I have used it for 2 years before I sold it and never could quiet it down, this is my reason for not including the M6 or MXT, but please correct if I'm wrong. Thanks again Mark

Here's a bit of input for what it's worth:

First off, the Fisher ID Edge will only give a VDI (number) while the Tesoro's will give a number plus a segment. The segments will measure higher as the processor accuracy rises. The segment showing half is not as sure as the segment showing full. The Deleon has 5 segments and the Cortes 9. Tesoro's are lighter and have a lifetime warranty. Neither Tesoro has a PP but it really doesn't need one. Flipping the switsh from disc to AM does the same thing and the display gives all information no matter which search mode you're in. The Cortes has manual GB. Out of these 3, the Cortes seems obvious if you can read the smaller display. But.....

Monte has expressed the M6. 16 segments, VDI number, ground trac and salt mode, 7 distinctive tones, along with sense and disc. Pull the trigger for AM. If you're sure your MXT had noise problems that is relevant to your area, you may not do well with the M6.

On another thread, I have brought up the GB issue on my own Deleon. And I am pondering the idea of trading for a M6. But it's a hard decision because the Deleon is the fastest at retuning and it's a Tesoro trademark that I love and would miss. But, if I give up my Deleon, it would be for an M6.

Dan

don't trade the deleon for m6 i've had the m6 plus i've made better finds with tesoro' s than any other brand out there, everytime i try a new maker i regret it everytime other than 1200 series fisher or cz model the only ones i have'nt tried is minelabs or garretts

Just a few thoughts to clear up (or muddy the water a bit more). I've thought about trading my DeLeon for a Cortez in order to have the gb even though it is in AM only. However, I'm truthfully getting decent depth, accurate IDs and generally good results in the areas I've been using the DeLeon. Seems to me with the display one could hunt in all metal with the Cortez when in difficult ground with less frustration than on a non display machine.
On another note, I've never had a problem with noise on the MXT - I run with the trheshold setting just audible and don't find that objectionable, at least in the areas I've hunted, but I like a threshold based detector. It's my understanding that the M6 runs quiet without the threshold hum so the noise factor mentioned shouldn't be a problem with that machine. I'm not sure whether the frequency of the two is really that much of an issue. One big advantage with the MXT, M6, DFX, and the new Vision is the capability to use the Sunray DX-1 probe which is the best pinpointer I've used to date.
If weight is an issue, the White's are heavy comparably.
HH
BB

It's true that my Deleon has been the best detector up to now. And the "grass is greener" scenario catches us every once in a while. There's just something about a Tesoro that makes it hard to let go of, once you've learned it's language.

Dan

you ain't kidding buying a third deleon and staying with it just got rid of a teknetics delta 4000 my god what a mistake that was took a beating to boot on that one it's nothing but a bounty mongrulled into big face f4 auto ground bal, very disapointed that's the last FT product for me

amcjavelin said:
you ain't kidding buying a third deleon and staying with it just got rid of a teknetics delta 4000 my god what a mistake that was took a beating to boot on that one it's nothing but a bounty mongrulled into big face f4 auto ground bal, very disapointed that's the last FT product for me
You know you want that bandito II again..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cortes will ID a dime down to 6" max. via meter and audio. A 7' coin sounds like iron mostly, so the ID is not good for really deeeep coins. The meter info tells a lot about the target. SUM mode gives about 9 tones, good for double checking deeper coins by sound pitch. Sometimes I search deep in All Metal mode then flip the switch to Disc mode when I get a signal and for pinpointing. The ground balancing is easy to do. A decent all purpose detector. Also have a CZ7a, it ID's a dime correctly down to 6", a 7" dime sounds like iron. The Cortes meter gives more info when the coin is within range. A good jewelry detector too.

I wanted to say thanks for everyones input. after reading all of your post and researching online all of the info I could find on the detectors. I am leaning towards the Cortes, My concern was the pre-set ground balance in disc and after hightones post about the fact I can use all metal and manually ground balance and still have the ID I do get what I want with the Cortes. After downloading the manuals of the detectors, I also believe the Cortes has more resolution as far as the VDI numbers. The Edge goes from -36 to 0 (iron) to 0 to +36 (non iron} where as the Cortes has fine tuned the numbers 0 (iron) +1 to +95 (non iron). The representation of the number scales shown here do not break everything down ie. pulltabs, foil, brass etc. it just shows in my opinion the Cortes gives more numbers to allow the user to narrow down a certain nuisance item, mainly the pulltab to where you can maybe prevent digging so many. Once again I want to thank everyone for there input.

Thanks Again

Mark

there are a number of reasons.

For example, the DeLe

I have an edge and find its ability to ground bal. quick and easy also an easy to swing detector that i use both on land and wading in the water with the box tucked in my waders and is VERY good at finding smaller gold rings

I honestly think you will be disappointed with the Cortes. I have one collecting dust. It behaves just like Monte described and is frustrating to use. I am not going to send it to Tesoro again for adjustments. I am waiting for someone to ID the GB trimmer so I can adjust it to my conditions or simply make it manual if possible. BTW, that was one of my complaints to Tesoro. They don't tell you that manual GB is for AM only until you get somewhere else in the manual that has nothing to do with GB.