Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Construction Sites:bounty:

Weekendwarrior

I rented a video on places to metal detect as I am new to it and it made construction sites seem like gold mines (coins, jewelry, and countless other treasures). I found 1 dime and enough evidence to support that the construction workers like Bush beer and may need an intervention. Has anyone ever had any luck at a construction site?

depends on how old the site was and what was on it before. the best one i found was where they took out part of a hill at an old school to build a paking lot. school was built in 1932 but there was an old house before that. several of us hunted it. my best day was 12 silver dimes. the only thing i got that dated to the time of the old house was an 1899 token. good luck.

back to the 30s. also got alot of of clad and some wheats from the 40s. not the clad just the wheats. and half a silver plated spoon from 1877 stamped and dated. thats about it. but I to am new to construction sites so i bet most do better,

I just missed a golden opportunity that I am kicking myself for 2 weeks later.

They just tore out and repaved the road that was once part of a Drive-In theatre from 1948-1984 before it was torn down to make way for a strip-mall.
The construction crews cut out the cement to expose the sweet black soil underneath that I am sure was littered with numismatic goodies. By the time I got off work, they had already laid down the gravel base and compacted it.

I'll check back again in 25 years to see if they are ready to repave it again lol.

In the 1980s I went to a Pasadena military construction site and talked my way in. My first signal by a big digger was under a leaf: my first Barber dime! If the leaf hadn't been covering and probably stepped on, it would have been exposed and possibly picked up.

BTW, I'd like to suggest that you acquire an OSHA hardhat as wearing it to the construction site will show the foreman and workers that you are concerned not only about your safety but their liability. And, of course, detect only when the equipment is not running such as during lunch and after hours.

Golden Silver

he told me of lots of things about the site. like where the materials are coming from and how the workers really arent paying too much attention about what they dig up and such. but there is a mystery person everyone has been calling " the old guy" who detects the area everyday and has found some good stuff. i have yet to meet this guy but i would love to ask all what he has found. rumor has it he found about 4 coins dating to the 1800s era in one spot. like a 1800s pocket spill.

construction sites are among the best places to go. you have to watch carefully and move quick to capitalize on them, though, 'cause sure enough, several others are eyeballin' the same site. there's usually a very short window of time available to hunt them, and it's often worth it. hh,

You guys are right on every point. Also an OSHA spec. 'high visability' vest, ear plugs and safety glasses might be required, but odds are they will not allow you to detect in an area when the equipment is running. I detect all of our sites and the finds can be pretty nice at times once a foot or two of dirt has been pulled away. I also target the piles from side casting with the track hoes [hit em before the dozer smoothes them out then again after.
Doug in OR

Recently the town that I live in had some major street repair project going on. Sidewalks & curbing were being put in and/or were being replaced or repaired. The streets were also being repaired & repaved. I received permission to beep the fill dirt pile that was graded off the streets & sidewalks & piled onto a vacant lot. I found the usual junk like cans, pulltabs, wire, screws and nails then got a reading for a zinc penny 6" deep. Normally I don't bother digging zinc pennies because most of the time they are so corroded they are worthless. Something told me to dig this signal so I did. It turned out that it was an early trade token made of brass. A local token collector paid me a hundred dollars for it and that helped me in purchasing my 11"DD coil for my Pioneer 505.