Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering E-Trac-Your Accessory Recommendations?

docguin

Hello Everyone,

I am new to your forum and considering the new E-Trac. Great information sharing here!

I have been a dedicated water hunter for years and have done very little land hunting. I am now looking to expand my horizons a little. For years I have wanted to hunt some old fishing holes and swimming holes and pounded to death parks near home. It looks like the perfect machine just arrived. Outside of the water, my main interest is silver coins.

I wonder what accessories you all like to go with your E-Tracs. What are your must have items to get the most from your E-Trac? Is there a coil that does anything better than the stock coil for anything well enough to be worth the money? I know larger coils cover more ground and smaller ones separate trash better, but that new coil appears to be able to do both pretty darn well without being too heavy.

The only thing I have for mine is a pinpointer. I like the SunRay better, but I got the Garrett, so I wouldn't have to make a hole in the shaft. I use it in parks and it works good with the standard coil.

Someone had a post with picture, of how they cut the shaft for the SunRay, but I don't want to do it. It was a nice job they did installing it.

Many seem to like that Sunray probe. I like the idea of it, and how it apparently works, but do not like the idea of adding weight and bulk to the part I swing and carry. It might be worth it to save time digging though. It is a thing I am considering, I really like it that it shows on the detector screen and flows through the same signal processing as the detector coil. It looks very handy as well, right there when you kneel down.

The Garrett ProPointer is the perfect E-Trac accessory. Some folk like to locate the target while it is still in the hole, but unless I am in a fine manicured lawn, I'll cut a hefty plug and get it up on top. Then it's easy for the ProPointer to pin-point the plug. If the target is still in the hole, it's usually within range of the ProPointer. Another advantage of the ProPointer is that it vibrates as well as sounds when close to metal. This really helps if you're using full-earcup headphones. The only other thing you should consider is a somewhat longer digging tool, as the E-trac will really reach deep.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice Mike.

It kind of seems that aside from the pinpointer and usual tools of the trade, most seem happy with the E-Trac as it is. Everyone seems to like the new coil that comes with it. Not many seem to want other coils, very unusual. I put a WOT on my Excalibur and love it, but it isn't something I would want to swing out of the water for very long.

I have handled this detector at my local dealer and find it much lighter and better balanced than the Explorer I had. I have read Andy Sabisch's book and down loaded the manual to learn as much as I can about it. The capability of the machine right out of the box appears to leave very little for aftermaket modifications to remedy.

We all have different opinions on the pin pointer, but that is the first thing I would get for accessories and then a smaller coil for the trashy areas.
The Sun Ray pin pointer is my favorite by far as it works though the detector so it will do everything the coil with other than not as much depth. It will have disc so when you look for the target in the hole it is easier to find plus being the E-Trac goes so deep you need a probe too that will go deep also to find those targets that are deep or on the side of the hole you will miss with many probes and this is where the Sun Ray X1 will out perform any others. One more thing I like about the Sun Ray is changing coils if you have the extra lower shaft with a coil mounted you can switch coils in less than 15 seconds and back detecting.

The SunRay PP.......... Other coils are prety much useless...............Ihe PRO Coil.....................RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like the stock detector and a pinpointer is all I need. Anyone know a dealer that might take a dredge and couple other detectors in trade on one of these? I need to clean out my basement some. I was looking for a list of sponsor dealers here but do not see one. Might be a good thing to give business to one of the sponsors.

I would first recommend a better arm rest. A cheap upgrade.

A wrap for the handle.....like a golf grip or tennis grip handle grip. Makes for a real nice more comfortable grip.

And also a couple of alkaline battery packs.......with rechargeable 3000 MAH AA batteries with a good fast recharger.

I then would recommend a cover for the screen......maybe one like everyone is talking about here on this forum.

Then a smaller coil. Like a 6 inch DD coil for real trashy areas if that is where you may hunt.

A good set of headphones....Gray Ghosts....or Accusounds...or killer bees...or several others...ask around and try them first!

And finally....if there is one around.......which if there isn't....I'm going to make one myself.......a hip mount. The E-trac is lighter and better balanced than the Explorer....but it is still a might bit heavy.

When I got my Sunray probe it was already fitted to an upper shaft for me. I paid the extra for the upper shaft but it was fitted for free.I think I paid about $30 for the shaft but its definately worth it.That probe has paid for itself 50 times over in extra finds and time saving.There are not many probes that can ID a target at about 3-4 inches,that the Sunray can do, most only have a depth capability of about an inch and with no ID feature you could be scanning a piece of junk missing the good target altogether. good hunting seeya Neilo

I guess it's preference about cutting a slot in the shaft so you can run the coil wire up inside like stock if you get the Sunray. It didn't take but 10' to do and it, techinically had to weaken the shaft, but practically it makes no difference. You are not stuck hanging the probe from the detector increasing it's weight. You can still carry it in a pocket or something just like you would any other pinpointer. What's nicer about the Sunray, is it doesn't respond to metal until you flip the switch. I have both the Garrett and the Sunray and I carry both. I am afraid I'll wear the switch out on the Garrett as I don't see any way to leave it on between targets unless you detect butt naked. The snaps on your jeans, your keys in your pocket, the digger in your hand, will all make the Garrett vibrate. Why do I carry both? I have found that sometimes by just using the tip of the Garrett I can determine more accurately where an elusive target is in a hole. Since the Garrett is all metal all the time, and the SunRay is whatever you have your detector set to, sometimes the all metal helps find something that is discriminated out by the electronics of your machine and transfers to the Sunray probe. Good Luck! Jim.

Thank you all for your kind advice.

I'm stuck on whether to go with the Sunray probe. I like the way it operates, and it gets good reviews, but the coil wire winds up outside the shaft or the shaft has to be cut. Of course the coil wires wind up outside the shaft on all my other detectors, but looks odd on the Explorers and E-Tracs. Looks never put targets in the pouch though. There will be some weight added, not a lot, but some and even a little weight makes a difference when you are swinging it all day.

Hip mounting seems like a good idea if it could be done. Getting some weight off the shaft sure helps on a long day. Even a light detector gets heavy after a while. The Swingy Thingy takes weight off the shaft without having to hip mount and allows the detector to remain in one piece. I looked at the Swingy on Doc's web site when I was looking at coils and think I will try one of those for sure. Has anyone used one?

docguin...You don't cut the 'end' of the shaft off. You merely cut a rectangle in the bottom of it so the cord can exit and plug into the Sunray switch box. I have two other coils mounted on lower shafts. It's not a problem to unscrew the coil connector going to the switch box and slide another coil and shaft through it and into the upper shaft. You can grab the coil plug and gently pull it through the hole and screw it into the Sunray switch box.
Now about the Swingy Thingy. I may be the exception but I used it the day I first used the SE that I got and have since moved it to the ET. I'd read and heard all about the weight issues. I didn't even want to try to go there. I have used it with every detector, even played with it on the ACE 250, and coil combo I have and I know nothing different. I've said this before in other posts but...It suspends the weight of the detector. on a bungee, from a strap that goes over your shoulder that attaches with a suspender type clip, right above your rear left pocket, The analogy is the 2 ton stack of steel being lifted by a crane and while suspended a worker on the ground with a rope guides the steel load where it has to go. You do the same with the Swingy Thingy. It's a little different motion than if you weren't using it but if you want the weight suspended from your body rather than building a Popeye right arm, and some pain in the subsequent joints, get it. I found it handy to hang the machine when I want both hands to scractch something. (You didn't want to go there did you?) You can always sell it on the classifieds if you don't like it. You know... I can't remember ever seeing one sold there. I've seen people selling all kinds of things for under $20 so why no Swingy Thingy? Somebody will see this and agree to sell theirs as a response. When you see that, buy one and try it. Use the slider on the end of the bungee to fine tune so that it hangs just above the grass. You'll find that fine tuning every so often keeps the thingy in the right place cuz I betcha you bend over farther as the day goes on. Going uphill or downhill changes your detecting angle so a little adjustment dials it right in. Jim

I think the Swingy is a must try for me, and probably the Sunray probe too. One lets you detect longer without fatigue and one is faster and more efficient. The coil goes over more ground in a day, it just makes good sense. I can't wait for winter to give up so I can get out there.