Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:confused:New owner of Excal 800 wants bigger coil - WOT or Sunray S-12?

wesbeach

I recently purchased an Excalibur 800 off ebay that includes the shorter shaft and am now interested in getting a larger coil. I presently have the Whites MXT for land use and have the Bigfoot coil which covers a lot of territory and finds a lot of stuff.

I want a bigger coil for my Excalibur now and am unsure which way to go. The 15" WOT and 12" Sunray S-12 seem to be popular with the Excalibur. I plan on using the detector in the water and on the wet sand beach. Are the bigger coils much more difficult to use under water?

Thanks

Wesley

If you have the orignial sea search coil from the older excaliber that coil will cut through the water like butter. No better coil for the water in my opinion. If you have the newer excaliber with the round coil I can't say what that does. If you are planning on using a wot or 12 inch coil they drag in the water especially the wot coil. If you are just starting out to water hunt you would be foolish to put a big coil on your machine until you know what you are doing. It is hard to pinpoint in the water with a bigger coil and you will waste alot of time doing that when you could be finding more targets with the smaller coil. Just because it is an 8 inch coil doesn't mean it won't get the job done. People always think that a larger coil is better, this is true when it comes to coverage but when you are water hunting you don't want to spend time dragging a large coil through the surf and try to pinpoint with it when you could save time with the smaller coil. I may got alot of replys about this but this is just my opinion. It is all a matter of fact of going over the target. The larger coils are an advantage in the wet surf and sand but the smaller coil is better in the surf because it isn't going to slow you down and you can pinpoint better with it and not waste time. If you someday want to get a wot coil I would suggest if you know someone who has one maybe they could let you try it out because it is a combersome coil. The 12 ich coil by sunray is a good coil because it is lighter and less extension on your arm. Whatever you do Good luck!

Are you going to send it in for a coil replacement or use waterproof connectors? I am in the same boat as you but plan on trying a 10" tornado.

Thanks for your recommendation. It sounds like a good idea to get a feel for what I want to do before I make changes. I think I will at least wait until the summer is over before I do anything and by then I should have some water detecting under my belt.

I will most likely send it in for coil replacement since I saw a lot of comments from people saying they didn't trust the seal of the connectors for salt water use. The wiring job sounds a little tricky and I don't have a good place to do work I can really count on for something so critical.