Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confused about a half dollar reading, please advise

nc-joe

A friend has a test garden set up. All the targets have been buried for several years. I took the Explorer II there today for some practice and to test a few adjustments. What I don't get is the half dollar he has buried at 8" On my EXII and another friends SE the coin rang in on the digital screen as low as 00 21 to 00 26 but mostly 00 25. Why would this come in lower than either a clad or silver quarter on the COND side? I am not sure if the half buried is clad, 40% or 90%, but regardless would it not come in at least the same as a quarter if not higher? I did check it with my DFX and the DFX did read correctly a 90 to 91.

The Explorer especially on ID doesn't like disturbed ground. I have coin plots that have been there for several years and my Explorer doesn't necessarily give a textbook hit. Not only the Explorer but my single freq detectors have a hard time correctly iding some of the coins.
My theory is that if a hole is dug, then a metalic object is placed down then covered, it will disturb the natural ground matrix for a long time. Now how long, I don't know but I remember reading where they can take GPR and tell what areas of a historic site have been used, going back hundreds, perhaps thousands of years and which areas the ancients didn't disturb or use.
My point is burying items, even if it has been years is not the same as naturally buried items.
I have tried to duplicate tests where nails and coins are buried together, burying them then paying attention to the results.
What I found out the hard way is even though burying objects can give a general idea about a detector, the true test is in real life situations.
I think test plots are fine but don't put too much emphasis on the deeper buried objects especially with meter readings and such.
One other note is on the Explorer, the half dollar and silver dollar has a lower conductive reading on them than a quarter, do an air test and you will see.
The Explorer doesn't have the traditional meter system where as the coins get bigger, that they are neccesarily higher in conductive value.
There is a chart around here somewhere on the Explorer ID, someone help me out.........

Try going to THEBEEPGOESON dot com web page he has a pretty good chart. Steves right, those halfs and silver dollars arent what you NORMALLY see on the CON readings. Its how it processes size and conductability based on what Andy called its S curve. But i have found them to move UP the scale when really deep and not overlap over into the negitive side of the smartscreen. Its one of those things you learn where they fall ... not why.