Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confederate Civil War Relics

coinworld

I recently upgraded from my AT Max to the Minelab Equinox 800 which I purchased late December 2018. I have used it maybe half dozen times. But in that short period of time I am very impressed thus far in its performance in the field. I live in Northern Virginia and I hunt exclusively civil war/colonial artifacts. I have had the opportunity to hunt a previously unknown virgin farm just South of Gettysburg, which we have determined to be part of the Gettysburg campaign of 1863.

In 2017 I was invited to hunt this 55 acre farm and I recovered numerous drop bullets, and period silver coins. I also dug my first Breastplate during Easter weekend 2017. Since that time nearly a dozen US plates, 2 CS wreath and tongues, a snake buckle, plus a Virginia State Seal Button, Block I, and a NC Starburst button have since been recovered. In other words this site has been hammered in the 2 years since I last hunted there by groups of many relic hunters.

Fast forward to March 1, 2019. I was invited by my gracious host to detect by myself. My first target was the highlight of my hunt- a Confederate Block I button basically 2 inches in the ground in heavily mineralized soil for Pennsylvania, I am used to heavy mineralized soil where I hunt and live here in Virginia. Why did previous hunters miss this target when my Nox 800 rang out high teens low 20s a nice target?

Fast forward again to last Friday March 22, 2019. I was invited a second time to hunt this site solo, my first target a modern fired bullet, but my second target at no more than 2-3,inches in the mud/muck was a square buckle that upon further inspection I realized what the heck I just recovered: My first Georgia frame buckle! Confederate baby! I could not believe it, no more than 10 minutes later and about 10 feet away I got a good hit on my Nox 800 ion the 21-22 range high tone which was consistent from all directions. After pinpointing at about 6 inches I popped the plug and was staring at a mud covered two piece button, a little water bath and BAM! A Virginia State Seal in beautiful condition.

These targets should have been recovered 2 years ago, not when I just detected this month. Were others just careless in their gridding, not having proper settings/ground balancing on thier detectors or did heavily mineralization play a roll? I’ll never know but I do know my Nox 800 sniffed out 3 highly sought after civil war relics, 2 Confederate buttons and a Confederate buckle that others should have recovered 2 years ago. I’ll be going back again in 2 weeks before farmer begins planting! Happy Hunting Nox users!

I said it once, and I'll say it again.......I love the Georgia Frame buckle and the Virginia State Seal button. All Great saves and finds and Confetrit' too. Well Done.

I have dreams sometimes involving relic hunting and Indian artifact hunting, where I am not even using a metal detector, just digging and the frame and two piece Confederate buckles come falling out of the dirt, or I'm finding scores of spearpoints just laying around everywhere.

Enjoy it while you can. Sites like that are getting harder and harder to find...…

But to answer your question, I have to ask a question first: is the ground up there "hot"?

If it is, that might be the answer to your question about how were those items missed by previous hunters. Northern Virginia ground is notorious for highly mineralized ground, and reports indicate that the Equinox handles the hot ground fairly well.

I had a similar experience in Virginia back before Christmas, in an area where I know at least 50 people pounded for a full day. then another twenty or so the next morning before I got there. I watched a guy pull a Pennsylvania National Guard button out of the middle of the pounded area, then I went in and dug an Eagle Staff, a button back, and a Virginia coat.

Believe me, it wasn't my experience with the machine that made that happen, it was (I think) a combination of the detector's ability to "see" non-ferrous targets hiding under nails and other ferrous trash, multi-freq "magic", and fantastic target separation/reactivity.

Anyway, congratulations, and like I said, get it while the gettin's good. :thumbup:

Hello Greg (E.Tn)-

Thanks for your feedback! I believe maybe the "hot" soil in this PA farm field maybe one of the reasons my Nox 800 could see these 3 Confederate relic targets that other detectors could not. I do know that there is a lot of iron, rusted iron nails etc at this site so maybe this was a major factor. When I am relic hunting I always run on field 2, sensitivity 2, iron bias 2, recovery speed 4, and mult-frequency. There were many iron targets that my Nox 800 saw, but it saw the non-ferous targets as well and once it locked on them it was game on! The Georgia frame buckle was a solid 39 on the Nox and was consistent from all directions, I was thinking at the time I had a silver dollar-boy was I surprised that it was not! :laugh: